AutoBanter

-   Dodge (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   dodge spirit 93, in cold radio doesnt work (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=27254)

gamzor March 17th 05 09:05 AM

dodge spirit 93, in cold radio doesnt work

hi i have a dodge spirit 93, and whenever it snows or it gets cold out, the
whole radio/display doesnt work at all. but then when the weather is nicer
it does. is there any solution to fixing this, or am i stuck with no music
until it gets nicer out.

Thank you for your time

Peregrine March 18th 05 02:54 AM

Check ground on case
lkaboutautos.com...

gamzor March 18th 05 11:34 PM

i dont know any about cars can you explain what you mean, Thanks alot.

ArchTaib March 19th 05 03:58 AM

on the back of the radio, when you would slide it out of the console, there
is a silver mesh grounding strap bolted between the radio and a common
ground *the other end usually can't be seen easily*.

i'm not exactly sure how this affects the operation when it's cold outside
or not.. i'd figure it'd either be attached or not attached. i can't see an
electrical problem with the radio based on temperature. but at the same
time, it's not like the radio is powered by servos or something else that
don't work when it's cold outside.

i can't think of anything. take the radio out and make sure everything is
hooked up. :)

lkaboutautos.com...

gamzor March 19th 05 08:42 AM

im gonna try this out

Mr_Notorius5500 March 22nd 05 04:07 AM

i think the problem is the radio itself. it has some kind of internal
defect where some kind of power lead perhaps contracted (since metal
contracts a little in cold weather) and cuts off the power to the rest of
the radio.
i had the same problem with my factory radio in my 92 dodge spirit and so
i went and got an aftermarket radio and it works fine in all weather
conditions.