AutoBanter

-   4x4 (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Blazer stuck in PARK (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=5354)

Shawn December 12th 03 07:59 PM

Blazer stuck in PARK

My 1997 Chevy Blazer is stuck in park. I know about the shifter
interlock - but I questioned if it was that because my brake lights
work and when I push the lever on the shifter I hear a clicking under
the dash? Can the lights work and switch be half bad. Can something in
the shifter itself be bad? I guess I'll replace it tonight if I know
how to ask for the part? Any other problems it could be? Or is this
probably it. It is on level ground and seems to rock back and an forth
freely an inch or so.

Thanks for any help.
Shawn

David Ward December 13th 03 12:51 PM

"Shawn" > wrote in message om...
: My 1997 Chevy Blazer is stuck in park. I know about the shifter
: interlock - but I questioned if it was that because my brake lights
: work and when I push the lever on the shifter I hear a clicking under
: the dash? Can the lights work and switch be half bad. Can something in
: the shifter itself be bad? I guess I'll replace it tonight if I know
: how to ask for the part? Any other problems it could be? Or is this
: probably it. It is on level ground and seems to rock back and an forth
: freely an inch or so.
:
: Thanks for any help.
: Shawn

I believe your interlock is unlocked until power is applied. Per my
owners manual, if the interlock fails to disengage, turn off all power,
turn ignition key to 'unlock' (one click short of on) move shifter to
neutral, start engine....
Try that to see if for sure that the interlock is working correctly. If
the shifter won't move with the key in the off/unlock position, the
problem should lie with the key/unlock mechanism itself.

Dave