AutoBanter

-   Ford Explorer (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Are your headlight lenses getting cloudy? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=42918)

Daniel J. Stern September 10th 05 03:13 PM

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005, Jack wrote:

> > North American-market Explorer headlamps used a plastic lens and a
> > plastic reflector.

> OMG! They were plastic -- and I loved them?
>
> Eeeeuuuuwwww.

Y'know, Jack, I'm beginning to get the sense that you *might* be mockin'
me... ;-)

Jack September 11th 05 05:07 AM

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

>>> North American-market Explorer headlamps used a plastic lens and a
>>> plastic reflector.

>Jack wrote:
>> OMG! They were plastic -- and I loved them?
>>
>> Eeeeuuuuwwww.

> Y'know, Jack, I'm beginning to get the sense that you *might* be mockin'
> me... ;-)

Well, one dislikes being fooled -- but they sure LOOKED good!

Jack

dr bob September 11th 05 05:24 PM

The headlight (and taillight.rear brakelight) lenses are polycarbonate
plastic. That plastic HATES petro products, including the solvents
used in car waxes made for paint. Use a cammon polish or wax on the
lenses and they will lokk great for a month, then start to haze and
craze, and eventually they will crack if you keep up the abuse.

Meguiars, Mothers, and others make polish products specifically made
to polish plastic pieces. Small airplanes have plastic windscreens
that suffer from scratching and discoloration if left on the ground
unprotected, so an aircraft supply place may also be able to help you.

Once you have the surface hazing polished out, resist the urge to add
a coat of wax. It will only start the process all over again.

In a big FWIW, there are complete replacement headlight assemblies
available online for a lot less than what a dealer charges. You get
new plastic lenses and new plastic mirror/reflectors, and they are
screw-in replacements. They make a HUGE difference in night vision
over the 14 year old lenses on your '92.

No matter how tempting it is, remember: NO WAX ON PLASTIC LENSES!

Cheers!

dr bob

'92 XLT still going strong