AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   removing a bendix spring from starter (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=74437)

ed[_2_] September 12th 06 06:34 PM

removing a bendix spring from starter

I have a with an external remote solenoid which I need to remove the Bendix
Assembly from. The Bendix assembly is not moving freely and I suspect heavy
rust under the clutch mechanism. How on earth does the Bendix come off?

Mike Romain September 12th 06 07:23 PM

removing a bendix spring from starter

Umm, they are the first thing put in basically. You have to start at
the other end and work your way to them. You might want to get some new
brushes to put in while you are in there. They are about $15.00.

I use WD40 to clean the junk out of starters, but that is for mud in the
brushes and bushings. I don't know if it would touch a rusty bendix. I
would use a good penetrating oil on it or maybe soak the nose of the
starter in kerosene or something.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

ed[_2_] September 12th 06 08:08 PM

removing a bendix spring from starter

oops left the word STARTER out of my first post.
thanks.

yeah I got it all stripped down as originally the bendix/clutch deal wasnt
coming out. I got it to come out but now will not go back in and it feels
like its mechanically latched or something. Taking it apart and cleaning
everything off is my intention before going to the extreme of replacing it.
Its an early 70's vintage starter.