AutoBanter

-   Alfa Romeo (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   147 1.6: Rattling at low revs (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=16)

Ruediger Barth April 27th 04 06:52 PM

147 1.6: Rattling at low revs

Hi all,

since three months I have my first Alfa (and my first car at all :-)),
a used 147 with the 1.6 Eco engine, three years old and ca. 30000 km
on the clock.

Sometimes, after the travel, when the car is pretty warmed up, and I
want to stop it, I hear a noise that make's me thinking:
I've read that this motor has casually problems to provide the
hydraulic tappets (I think that's the same like "Hydro-Stößel" in
German) with enough oil. I heard this sound two or three times quite
loud and it disappeared after some meters driving.
But the noise I want to describe has a similar frequency and timbre,
but not so loud. Could that also be the hydraulic tappets, but with
nearly sufficient oil pressure? Or are the hydraulic tappets rattling
only loud?

Thank you a lot for your comments,

Rüdi

Jimmy April 30th 04 02:51 PM

Ruediger Barth > wrote in message >. ..
> Hi all,
>
> since three months I have my first Alfa (and my first car at all :-)),
> a used 147 with the 1.6 Eco engine, three years old and ca. 30000 km
> on the clock.
>
> Sometimes, after the travel, when the car is pretty warmed up, and I
> want to stop it, I hear a noise that make's me thinking:
> I've read that this motor has casually problems to provide the
> hydraulic tappets (I think that's the same like "Hydro-Stößel" in
> German) with enough oil. I heard this sound two or three times quite
> loud and it disappeared after some meters driving.
> But the noise I want to describe has a similar frequency and timbre,
> but not so loud. Could that also be the hydraulic tappets, but with
> nearly sufficient oil pressure? Or are the hydraulic tappets rattling
> only loud?
>
> Thank you a lot for your comments,
>
> Rüdi

Make sure its got the correct oil. If it gets tappy when warm the oil
may be too thin....

Ruediger Barth May 3rd 04 06:54 PM

On 30 Apr 2004 06:51:56 -0700, (Jimmy) wrote:

>Make sure its got the correct oil. If it gets tappy when warm the oil
>may be too thin....

Have a 10 W 40 in it. I have the impression that the sound doesn't
appear when I push it a little bit harder, then the motor is quiet ...

Regards, Rüdiger