AutoBanter

-   Honda (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Can you pushstart MT 1991 Civic? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=26721)

[email protected] March 11th 05 07:55 PM

Can you pushstart MT 1991 Civic?

I only ask because looking at the ECM PRG-EFI relay it
sure looks like it would be rather difficult to do.
Anone done it?
Just thinking about the time my starter died in my
1981 Subaru 4WD. I was parked on a hill, so it was easy
to slip it into reverse, roll backwards and pop the clutch.
I suspect you would have to get a Civic up to speed, pop
the clutch and turn the ignition switch all at about the
same time.

I may have posted this smae header with no text, blame
Google Beta.
Terry

Chopface March 11th 05 08:16 PM

wrote:
> I only ask because looking at the ECM PRG-EFI relay it
> sure looks like it would be rather difficult to do.
> Anone done it?
> Just thinking about the time my starter died in my
> 1981 Subaru 4WD. I was parked on a hill, so it was easy
> to slip it into reverse, roll backwards and pop the clutch.
> I suspect you would have to get a Civic up to speed, pop
> the clutch and turn the ignition switch all at about the
> same time.
>
> I may have posted this smae header with no text, blame
> Google Beta.
> Terry

I've done it a few times after leaving my lights on and draining the
battery. Just have they key in the normal running position and 'pop' the
clutch. The 'pop' can be fairly gentle, you don't have to totally 'dump'
it.

The owner's manual tells you not to do this though. My guess is that it
may be a little hard on the cat. because some raw fuel might go through
the engine unburned. I'm sure someone will explain for sure why its not
the best for your car.

Mark

[email protected] March 11th 05 09:01 PM

I've push-started a 90 prelude 2.0 Si with no problem.

And many times an 84 Jetta GLi.

Cheers,
Mike Davis

Randolph March 11th 05 09:13 PM

wrote:

> I only ask because looking at the ECM PRG-EFI relay it
> sure looks like it would be rather difficult to do.
> Anone done it?
> Just thinking about the time my starter died in my
> 1981 Subaru 4WD. I was parked on a hill, so it was easy
> to slip it into reverse, roll backwards and pop the clutch.
> I suspect you would have to get a Civic up to speed, pop
> the clutch and turn the ignition switch all at about the
> same time.
>
> I may have posted this smae header with no text, blame
> Google Beta.
> Terry

You need to have the ignition in "RUN", just like when push-starting any
other car. No need to put the ignition in "Start". As you release the
clutch, the engine will start turning (firing or not) and the sensors in
the distributor will tell the ECU that the engine is turning. The ECU
will then turn the fuel pump back on. There is usually enough residual
pressure in the fuel system to get the car started before the fuel pump
starts running.

If the battery voltage is 0, you probably will not be able to push start
the car. Alternators need battery voltage to start delivering power.
Older DC generators could pull themselves up by the boot straps.

A very modest collection of Honda tech info can be found at:
http://www.geocities.com/ng_randolph

motsco_ _ March 11th 05 10:42 PM

wrote:
> I only ask because looking at the ECM PRG-EFI relay it
> sure looks like it would be rather difficult to do.
> Anone done it?
> Just thinking about the time my starter died in my
> 1981 Subaru 4WD. I was parked on a hill, so it was easy
> to slip it into reverse, roll backwards and pop the clutch.
> I suspect you would have to get a Civic up to speed, pop
> the clutch and turn the ignition switch all at about the
> same time.
>
> I may have posted this smae header with no text, blame
> Google Beta.
> Terry

-------------------

If there's enough juice to make the interior light glow (even a tiny
bit) just put it in second, turn on the key (fuel pump will hopefully be
able to pressurize the rail), let it roll to walking speed, then let the
clutch out sharply, then immediately back in. You only want to turn it
over, and if you leave the clutch out, it can't start very well. With
this method, I drove an old Volvo all summer without a starter. I could
start it in the length of two empty curbside parking spots (had to):-)

P.S. I was a teenager, and tried to always have somebody along for the ride.

'Curly'

Mista Bone March 15th 05 12:51 AM

if PGM-FI (main relay) is dead, no push starting is gonna help!!!!!!!!!!

But if you ever need to bump start, use 2nd gear!!!!!!!!!!

Even on level ground, I was able to bump start my 93 Civic. My case was too
big of a stereo 8-9 years ago.

oups.com...

TeGGer® March 15th 05 02:39 AM

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> I suspect you would have to get a Civic up to speed, pop
> the clutch and turn the ignition switch all at about the
> same time.

No, you can turn the ignition on first, then do the push thing. As Mista
Bone says, use 2nd gear.

The main relay supplies voltage to the fuel pump as long as the ECU sees
that the engine is *turning* and the ignition is on. It reads the pulses
from the Crank Angle Sensor inside the distributor to know this. The engine
does not actually have to be *running*.

There is a secondary (redundant) power feed for the fuel pump that is only
activated when the ignition switch start contacts are closed, but this does
not affect the primary feed through IG1.

Now if the battery were totally dead and the car had not been run for a few
days, would you have trouble bump-starting the car unless enough fuel were
still in the fuel rail to allow the engine to fire?

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

Abeness March 15th 05 06:08 PM

TeGGer® wrote:
> No, you can turn the ignition on first, then do the push thing. As Mista
> Bone says, use 2nd gear.

Why 2nd? I assume it has to do with gear ratios or something, but it
would be nice to know something a tad more specific.

Also, would reverse work all right, if, say, one were stuck facing
forward on an uphill (as I am on my block)?

Abe

TeGGer® March 16th 05 12:03 AM

Abeness > wrote in :

> TeGGer® wrote:
>> No, you can turn the ignition on first, then do the push thing. As
>> Mista Bone says, use 2nd gear.

> Why 2nd? I assume it has to do with gear ratios or something, but it
> would be nice to know something a tad more specific.

The gearing makes it easier for the wheels to turn the engine.

> Also, would reverse work all right, if, say, one were stuck facing
> forward on an uphill (as I am on my block)?

First or reverse will work too.

SoCalMike March 16th 05 12:28 AM

Abeness wrote:
> TeGGer® wrote:
>
>> No, you can turn the ignition on first, then do the push thing. As
>> Mista Bone says, use 2nd gear.

> Why 2nd? I assume it has to do with gear ratios or something, but it
> would be nice to know something a tad more specific.

2nd is the general "crawling" gear. 1st would likely be doable, but if
it doesnt catch, itll lurch a lot! 2nd is more matched to the speed
youll be pushing the car.

> Also, would reverse work all right, if, say, one were stuck facing
> forward on an uphill (as I am on my block)?

sure. ive popped the clutch on my 98 in reverse, and it started. lurched
a bit, tho. likely a lower gear ratio than 1st.