AutoBanter

-   Jeep (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Use Limited Diff Lube Only Tag Question (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=32620)

JeePenn May 13th 05 10:30 PM

Use Limited Diff Lube Only Tag Question

I have the Use Limited Diff Lube Only tag on my 2000 Jeep Wrangler Dana
44 diff cover. Is it possible that I do not have the limited slip diff
option? The reason that I ask is that I was able to get something
called a VIP report on my Jeep (I bought it used) that shows the
options but I do not see anything showing a limited diff option? Is
there a way to determine whether I have a limited diff without taking
off the diff cover?

Mike Romain May 13th 05 10:38 PM

Easy to test. Just jack up the rear wheels and spin one forward. If
the other side spins the same way, you have the limited slip or a
locker. If it spins opposite, you have an open diff.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

wraithyjeep May 13th 05 10:45 PM

jack the axle so the tires on the same axle are free to spin and spin one
wheel if the other side turns the same direction you have limited if spin
opposite what you spin the tire then nope you don't

oups.com...

Jeff Strickland May 13th 05 10:50 PM

If you have the tag, the odds favor you having limited slip. Why would there
be a tag if there wasn't a limited slip?

You can determine you have limited slip by reading the tag on the cover.

oups.com...

JeePenn May 14th 05 02:48 AM

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. This is why I ask the question: I
gave my local Jeep dealership my VIN number and he provided me with
something that is called a VIP report that shows all the options that
my purchased (used) 2000 Wrangler supposedly has. I can not see
anything on the paper work that indicates that my Jeep has a limited
slip for my Dana 44 rear. I got reading some of our historical
newsgroups messages concerning identifying Jeep diff types and I read
where the Dana 44 limited slip has a tag on it indicating to use only
limited lube only. Even though my VIP report does not indicate a
limited slip, I do have the tag. So....I am a bit confused as to
exactly what I have. Everyone's comments please!

Mike Romain May 14th 05 01:47 PM

I don't get it.

2 of us told you how to check it. So??????

It is a used Jeep right? They (DC) put a pile of defective rear ends
into the Jeeps so you could have literally any kind of rear in there as
a replacement or the $tealer could have just added the tag to make folks
think they are getting something better than is in there. If they did
that, then suspect the odometer has been changed too. (not in your
favor)

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

David C. Moller May 14th 05 07:25 PM

Hmmmm if memory serves, I think limited slip was 'standard' with the
Dana44 option. Might be why it's not specifically listed on the VIP
report you speak of. Then again, my memory might be wrong. :)

Best to check the way Jeff and Mike mentioned earlier I guess.

Dave

Lon May 14th 05 08:46 PM

JeePenn proclaimed:

> Hey guys, thanks for the responses. This is why I ask the question: I
> gave my local Jeep dealership my VIN number and he provided me with
> something that is called a VIP report that shows all the options that
> my purchased (used) 2000 Wrangler supposedly has. I can not see
> anything on the paper work that indicates that my Jeep has a limited
> slip for my Dana 44 rear. I got reading some of our historical
> newsgroups messages concerning identifying Jeep diff types and I read
> where the Dana 44 limited slip has a tag on it indicating to use only
> limited lube only. Even though my VIP report does not indicate a
> limited slip, I do have the tag. So....I am a bit confused as to
> exactly what I have. Everyone's comments please!

You could check your dealer output by going to www.jeep.com and
going to the owners section and request a build report. Should
have same info as your dealer gave you unless they fat fingered
the VIN. Have you asked them if you have limited slip?

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III May 14th 05 09:40 PM

It is a five year old TJ, if it was sold with a Dana 35c, it would
have been replaced by now: http://www.billhughes.com/dana35c/
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

mic canic May 15th 05 03:31 PM

you have it make sure u use the additive in the lube