AutoBanter

-   Ford Explorer (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   1999 Explorer - theft light flashes (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=37248)

xxx July 3rd 05 08:21 PM

1999 Explorer - theft light flashes

I have a 1999 Explorer XLT purchased new, no problems until yesterday.
After backing out of my driveway the truck would continually stall when
taking my foot off the accelerator. Later in the day I tried again and
it worked fine. Today I noticed that the theft light was flashing (no
stalling), I stopped and turned the car off and restarted – no theft
light except couple of seconds after started, then goes off – truck
worked fine.

Does the theft system shut off fuel or is it just coincidence that this
seems to be happening together? I’ll take the truck in this week to
the shop – any idea what could be causing this and how expensive to fix.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

\Fester via CarKB.com\ July 5th 05 02:51 PM

When I first got my explorer, I used the wrong key in the lock, you know, the
one without the chip in it. The car wouldn't start, and I subsequently had
the same problem. When I finally took it in, the diagnostics revealed that
the theft system had detected a theft attempt and therefore began disabling
the car. They reset the system, and I haven't had a problem since then.
Only cost me fifty dollars and saved a lot of stress. As I said in the other
post about this, the diagnostics had also revelaed an issue with the
oxygenator, so it could have been either one.

Mark July 7th 05 12:20 AM

Thanks for the info. I've always used the original key, so no issues
there. I've used the truck every day since this weirdness happened,
works fine - no stalling or Theft light issues. I'm inclined to think
it was unrelated and coincidence (perhaps some bad gasoline), I'll
probably defer taking to the shop unless it happens again.

Thanks,

Mark