AutoBanter

-   Technology (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   98 Crown Vic Wipers won't park (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=26926)

msterspy March 14th 05 12:10 AM

98 Crown Vic Wipers won't park

Hi All: Just wondering if anyone has seen this problem. I have a 98
Crown Vic and the wipers won't park. In fact when I shut them off the
go all the way to the up position. The parking cycle seems to be dead.
The wipers work perfect other than the parking problem.

I removed the cover to reveal the crank and it was stuffed with
acorns. (I have a chipmunk problem in my neighborhood) Maybe they
chewed the wiring?

I tried looking at my service manual and it gives instructions on how
to measure resistance and voltage, but I can not find the wiring
harness that goes to the wiper motor. Ford had a better idea when
they design accesiblity to the wiper motor. Looks like a nightmare and
I may have a mechanic do the work. I'm getting too old for this.

pater March 14th 05 01:36 AM

Fixed a few of these. The problem is in the wiper arm thats bolted to
the motor. First attempt was a rebuilt motor(aftermarket) that fixed
the problem. Next one belonged to my dad so I had the opertunity to
tear it apart & see what made it tick. The arm itself is aluminum &
wears out. The entire explaination on how it all functions is
complicated & would be longwinded so the short of it is the arm is
available from ford as a seperate unit & thats all you will need. I
have the part # at work if you want it I can post it tomorrow.

msterspy March 14th 05 03:25 AM

If you could, please let me know what the part number is. I can see
where the crank could be 180 degrees out of sync. When I removed the
cover I could see that the compartment was stuffed with acorns and
this probably jamed up the works.

pater March 15th 05 12:48 AM

E7AZ-17A438-A, Tear it apart first to make sure thats all you need.
Good luck.

msterspy March 15th 05 03:30 AM

On 14 Mar 2005 16:48:40 -0800, "pater" > wrote:

>E7AZ-17A438-A, Tear it apart first to make sure thats all you need.
>Good luck.

Thank You for your help.