AutoBanter

-   Mazda (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   1990 Miata with 1.6 with shimmy in possibly the driveshaft. (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=74364)

pws[_1_] September 13th 06 01:08 AM

Zoo animals (was: 1990 Miata with 1.6 with shimmy in possiblythe driveshaft.) NMC

XS11E wrote:

> No, sorry, we have no African Spurred Toroise. We do have some African
> Spurred Tortoises but I'm not sure if they're currently on display?

Picking on me for a typo, and that after I got sulcata correct. That
just isn't right.

> Some months ago I was giving a tour of the zoo and we stopped the cart
> to look at the baboons. Across from them is the Mohr's Gazelle
> enclosure and at that time there were at least two of the spurred
> tortoises there hard at work making more spurred tortoises. One of the
> other volunteers came by, looked at the scene and commented to me,
> "We're going to get letters!"
>
> We always do when sex happens, damn critters insist on behaving like...
> well, like animals!

Here is a picture of my "tortoise" from about a year ago.

http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/pat/tortoise.jpg

She is growing at an alarming rate, from 2 3/4 pounds this time last
year to almost 6 pounds today.

They don't live as long as the Galapagos tortoise, but they can still go
past 100 years. This one is about 3, so she should have a while left.

I have heard that there is still a living Galapagos tortoise that Darwin
brought back on the Beagle, but I have never verified this. If true, the
animal is at least 175 years old.

Pat

pws[_1_] September 13th 06 01:31 AM

Zoo animals

pws wrote:

> I have heard that there is still a living Galapagos tortoise that Darwin
> brought back on the Beagle, but I have never verified this. If true, the
> animal is at least 175 years old.
>
> Pat

Well, you can tell I am bored today.

Harriet was the tortoise and she died less than 3 months ago in Australia.
There is dispute over whether she was actually brought back on the
Beagle by Darwin, but her age was estimated at 175 years.
There was a male Galapagos tortoise that lived to a verified 188 years
that died in 1965. (born in 1777)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harriet

Pat

XS11E[_1_] September 13th 06 02:54 AM

Zoo animals (was: 1990 Miata with 1.6 with shimmy in possibly the driveshaft.) NMC

pws > wrote in
:

> XS11E wrote:
>
>> No, sorry, we have no African Spurred Toroise. We do have some
>> African Spurred Tortoises but I'm not sure if they're currently
>> on display?

> Picking on me for a typo, and that after I got sulcata correct.
> That just isn't right.

I notice you didn't attempt the full name, Geochelone sulcata!

> Here is a picture of my "tortoise" from about a year ago.
>
> http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/pat/tortoise.jpg
>
> She is growing at an alarming rate, from 2 3/4 pounds this time
> last year to almost 6 pounds today.
>
> They don't live as long as the Galapagos tortoise, but they can
> still go past 100 years. This one is about 3, so she should have a
> while left.

We have a Galapagos that's over 100, he's pretty big. When the
Tortoises had their annual physicals we had to use the elephant's scale
to weigh them which ****ed off the elephants a whole bunch, they don't
like to share. It took six or more people to partially lift the bigger
ones onto the scale....

Did you know when Galapagos tortoises mate the male bellows and grunts
and roars? Scares the HELL out of visitors!

Chris D'Agnolo September 13th 06 03:04 AM

1990 Miata with 1.6 with shimmy in possibly the driveshaft.

THANK YOU LANNY! Damn, one (probably incorrect) response and it was off to
the OFF TOPIC FRENZY! What were you people thinking! Kids!

The guy even said thanks for the great help! ........inseams my arse!

aaahhhh,
Chris
99BBB

pws[_1_] September 13th 06 03:46 AM

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> THANK YOU LANNY! Damn, one (probably incorrect) response and it was off to
> the OFF TOPIC FRENZY! What were you people thinking! Kids!
>
> The guy even said thanks for the great help! ........inseams my arse!
>
> aaahhhh,
> Chris
> 99BBB

If only that were true. I still act like a kid, but the body gets harder
to fool every day.

To get back on topic about miatas with shimmy problems, did you hear
that Britney Spears gave birth to her second child? ;-)

Pat

Christopher Muto[_1_] September 13th 06 04:37 AM

Zoo animals (was: 1990 Miata with 1.6 with shimmy in possibly the driveshaft.) NMC

to bring this back on topic... are you guys saying that an adult galapagos
tortoise could not drive a miata because they are just too big?

Lanny Chambers September 13th 06 05:02 AM

Zoo animals (was: 1990 Miata with 1.6 with shimmy in possibly the driveshaft.) NMC

In article <X1LNg.3429$Rw2.3081@trnddc02>,
"Christopher Muto" > wrote:

> to bring this back on topic... are you guys saying that an adult galapagos
> tortoise could not drive a miata because they are just too big?

Hmph. That's not on-topic.

But male tortoises are very sensitive to alignment. If it's not right,
they bellow and grunt and roar. If it is right, they shimmy.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis

XS11E[_1_] September 13th 06 05:09 AM

1990 Miata with 1.6 with shimmy in possibly the driveshaft.

"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote in
:

> THANK YOU LANNY! Damn, one (probably incorrect) response and it
> was off to the OFF TOPIC FRENZY! What were you people thinking!
> Kids!
>
> The guy even said thanks for the great help! ........inseams my
> arse!

Inseams are on topic as are tortoises. Now stop top posting and stop
talking about Miatas!

NOTE: Arses are on topic.

pws[_1_] September 13th 06 05:28 AM

Zoo animals

Christopher Muto wrote:
> to bring this back on topic... are you guys saying that an adult galapagos
> tortoise could not drive a miata because they are just too big?

They do get too big, but that is not the point.
A tortoise is very smart for a reptile, and they already move slowly
enough when walking.
Driving the underpowered miata and slowing down even more just would not
make any sense and they realize this.

That is why they have been here for 180 million years while we aren't
going to make it to even close to one million years. They keep things
simple, we complicate and screw things up. :-)

Pat

pws[_1_] September 13th 06 05:46 AM

XS11E wrote:

> Inseams are on topic as are tortoises. Now stop top posting and stop
> talking about Miatas!
>
> NOTE: Arses are on topic.

Actually, inseam lengths can be an on-topic issue in a vehicle the size
of a miata, they just don't have anything to do with wheel shimmy.

I wasn't making that up about my tall friend, there is no seat
adjustment, removing of foam, or any other thing you could do to make
the miata comfortable for him to drive.
This is simply because his legs are too long for a car this size.
Call it inseam length or leg length, but if your inseam is 32", 34", or
40+ inches, this is going to make a difference in how the car fits you.

Pat