AutoBanter

-   Honda (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   1990 civic fuel pump (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=11785)

bloodhound December 30th 04 06:32 AM

1990 civic fuel pump

can someone tell where the fuel pump is on a 4 door 1990 honda civic. i am
having a problem with no gas getting to the injecters what can be the
problem. someone told me there was a relay under the dash that controls the
fuel pump is this true?

SoCalMike December 30th 04 07:21 AM

bloodhound wrote:
> can someone tell where the fuel pump is on a 4 door 1990 honda civic. i am
> having a problem with no gas getting to the injecters what can be the
> problem. someone told me there was a relay under the dash that controls the
> fuel pump is this true?

google for "main relay", probably the most common problem.

[email protected] December 31st 04 03:16 AM

This is a VERY common problem.
Since early August of this year I have seen
almost 20 bad relays from 198? through the
late 1990s. It is harder to find and remove
them then to repair. If you can't solder ask
around, surely a friend can do it. It is well worth
the extra time and effort to drill some ventalation
holes in the plastic case. The relays and resistors
get too hot. By drilling 6 3/8" holes I was able to
lower the inside temp by a large amount. Lower tep
means longer life, with fewwer problems.
The relays are in sealed boxes so dust will not
be a problem.
Terry

John Ings December 31st 04 03:36 AM

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/MainRelay.HTM

speedy January 4th 05 07:12 AM

ANd to answer your actual question- Its in the tank. You have to drop
the tank for replacement.

To fill in the blanks from the other responses- When you turn on the key
you should hear the fuel pump kick on for a few seconds and then hear
the relay turn it off before starting. hecking the relay is easier, and
you wont get your hands dirty. If that doesnt fix it run some power to
the fuel pump leads to see if its really dead. You'l find those wires
under the back seat.

-SP