AutoBanter

-   VW air cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   heating (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=13864)

jex December 29th 04 03:15 PM

heating

i was just wandering if it is posible to use a 2kw house hold heater
in a car if you have a 240volt transformer thing (200watt). i dont
think it will work but how knows. if not what is the best way to heat
the car with out heat exchangers. thanke i dont want to freeze!

Jan Andersson December 29th 04 03:23 PM

jex wrote:

> i was just wandering if it is posible to use a 2kw house hold heater
> in a car if you have a 240volt transformer thing (200watt).

No.

> i dont think it will work but how knows. if not what is the best way to heat
> the car with out heat exchangers. thanke i dont want to freeze!

Gasoline heater is your best friend. Instant heat, no fumes.

Jan

[email protected] January 4th 05 03:00 AM

I was considering doing the same thing using a big power invertor
120v to 12v.
I think that would put a big strain on the alternator or generator
and the battery and possibly the wiring too.

jjs January 4th 05 03:09 AM

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I was considering doing the same thing using a big power invertor
> 120v to 12v.
> I think that would put a big strain on the alternator or generator
> and the battery and possibly the wiring too.

Yep. Nothing is free.

[email protected] January 4th 05 02:30 PM

Woops!
I meant a 12volt to 120 volt inverter.
It would still overload your electrical system.
Sorry!

tricky January 4th 05 08:43 PM

On the subject of heating - has anyone out there tried insalling an oil
cooler and fan as a heater, in a similar fashion to a watercooled engine ?

Jan Andersson January 5th 05 03:45 PM

Run a Google search in this newsgroup. It's been covered a couple of
times here.

Basically it's a bad idea: When it's cold, and the engine barely reaches
normal operating temperature, you would be cooling it even more than
normal. but when it's hot outside, you turn this extra cooling OFF.
Possibly leaving the ductwork and such just hindering airflow and ending
up with LESS cooling than stock.

Jan

tricky January 5th 05 09:09 PM

oh well ! seemed like a good idea .