AutoBanter

-   BMW (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Electric Windows Won't Work (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=38998)

arl4-2 July 24th 05 10:50 PM

Electric Windows Won't Work

1998 BMW Z3 windows will not go up or down. Fuse is okay & all other
electrical components work. Any ideas?

Jim July 24th 05 11:21 PM

"arl4-2" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> 1998 BMW Z3 windows will not go up or down. Fuse is okay & all other
> electrical components work. Any ideas?

Bad switch
Bad motor (not likely if both don't work)
Jammed mechanism (not likely if both don't work)
Jim

arl4-2 July 25th 05 06:10 AM

Doesn't it seem like there's another problem as both driver & passenger
switches quit at the same time. One is stuck up & the other is 1/2 way.
We just purchased & this was the first short trip. We're a two hr drive
from any dealer.

R. Mark Clayton July 25th 05 10:57 AM

"arl4-2" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> 1998 BMW Z3 windows will not go up or down. Fuse is okay & all other
> electrical components work. Any ideas?

Check the fuse again - replace it anyway, or swap it with an other circuit,
check wiring from fuse.

Were you using both windows at once?

Some cars have a trip - look for that.

Most cars have an interlock so that you can only run two at a time out of
the windows & sun roof, so a dicky switch on one could prevent the other
from working.

Maybe the auto up down is stuck on the driver's side?

John Burns July 25th 05 11:24 AM

> 1998 BMW Z3 windows will not go up or down. Fuse is okay & all other
> electrical components work. Any ideas?

Is the safety cut-out OK?

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!

Jeff Mayner August 8th 05 09:48 AM

arl4-2 wrote:
> 1998 BMW Z3 windows will not go up or down. Fuse is okay & all other
> electrical components work. Any ideas?

Liquid spill? It got me. Costly to replace all the damn switches too. :-(

Mark K September 5th 05 12:33 AM

KEEP IN MIND THAT THE WINDOWS WONT WORK IF THE DOOR IS OPEN.

From: "Jeff Mayner" >
Subject: Electric Windows Won't Work
Date: Monday, August 08, 2005 1:48 AM