AutoBanter

-   Alfa Romeo (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Experience with 156 Twinspark 1.8 (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=37700)

[email protected] July 9th 05 05:29 AM

Experience with 156 Twinspark 1.8

Hi All,

I think about to buy this used model
I found one with 74k and 4 years old...
so what is your experience about milage ? Is it possible over 100 k
milage ?
And what about problems `? Any common problems ?

thanks

udo

Catman July 9th 05 07:49 AM

wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I think about to buy this used model
> I found one with 74k and 4 years old...
> so what is your experience about milage ? Is it possible over 100 k
> milage ?

No reason why not. My 2l has 120k

> And what about problems `? Any common problems ?

CLonking over buymps means bushes have gone. Erratic idle could be down to
a number of things. Sounding like a Diesel on start up means the variator
is knackered.

Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 TS 156 TS S2
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk

Simon Mason July 9th 05 04:56 PM

"Catman" > wrote in message
news:RrKze.192512. Sounding like a Diesel on start up means the variator
> is knackered.

Mine was like that from new. Now done 80000 miles with same variators.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Catman July 9th 05 05:08 PM

Simon Mason wrote:

> "Catman" > wrote in message
> news:RrKze.192512. Sounding like a Diesel on start up means the variator
>> is knackered.

> Mine was like that from new. Now done 80000 miles with same variators.

The only effect is a slight drop in power at the bottom end AIUI. No real
reason to get it fixed apart from that. And the noise.

showders July 10th 05 01:40 PM

Hi

How much are the bushes to replace, Anyone have an idea? Mine seems to
squeak/clonk over bumps, how urgent should these be replaced?

Thnaks

Simon Mason July 10th 05 04:12 PM

"showders" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi
>
> How much are the bushes to replace, Anyone have an idea? Mine seems to
> squeak/clonk over bumps, how urgent should these be replaced?

They will fail an MOT test so you have to get them done. Cost me around 200
UKP at an Alfa independent.

Zathras July 10th 05 07:59 PM

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 16:12:30 +0100, "Simon Mason"
> wrote:

>"showders" > wrote in message
roups.com...
>> Hi
>>
>> How much are the bushes to replace, Anyone have an idea? Mine seems to
>> squeak/clonk over bumps, how urgent should these be replaced?

>They will fail an MOT test so you have to get them done. Cost me around 200
>UKP at an Alfa independent.

Not in my experience. I had my original bushes squeak and creak within
weeks of taking delivery of my brand new car. In hot weather, if I run
the A/C hard, I can get my front suspension warmed up to the point
where it is absolutely horrendous sounding.

Surely they will only fail an MOT if they're *worn*, not if they're
just making a noise because Alfa bushes aren't the best?

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email without 'Alfa' in subject are auto-deleted..sorry!)

alfistagj July 11th 05 12:55 AM

My SW1.8 (August 2000) had 150.000km (90000 mi) on it after 4½ years when I
got my GT last Feb.
Not one problem during those 4½ years (apart from regular maintenance) and
the new owner loves it as a well.

> schreef in bericht
ups.com...

Dennis July 14th 05 10:26 AM

> schreef in bericht
ups.com...
> Hi All,
>
> I think about to buy this used model
> I found one with 74k and 4 years old...
> so what is your experience about milage ? Is it possible over 100 k
> milage ?
> And what about problems `? Any common problems ?
>
> thanks
>
> udo

My previous AR156 was a '99 1.8TS. When I bought it it was 3 years old, and
had 103.000 km on it. On LPG. I drove it another 1.5 years up to 180.000 km,
and no problems whatsoever. That was the reason I bought an AR156 again, but
now its a 2002 1.9JTD (after "face-lift")

Grts

Dennis