AutoBanter

-   Honda (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Rear suspension is off! (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=38865)

TeGGeR® July 23rd 05 02:37 AM

Rear suspension is off!

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/...suspension.jpg

I'm off to the machine shop tomorrow to get the bushings pressed out.

This has easily been the most frightening job I've ever attempted, mostly
due to the amount of disassembly required. Ain't nothin' left of that back
end.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

chip July 23rd 05 03:13 AM

On 23 Jul 2005 01:37:27 GMT, "TeGGeR®" > wrote:

>http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/...suspension.jpg
>
>I'm off to the machine shop tomorrow to get the bushings pressed out.
>
>This has easily been the most frightening job I've ever attempted, mostly
>due to the amount of disassembly required. Ain't nothin' left of that back
>end.

beat them out with a hammer, we don't press them at the shop. I've
done them on the car.
Chip

jim beam July 23rd 05 05:37 AM

TeGGeR® wrote:
> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/...suspension.jpg
>
> I'm off to the machine shop tomorrow to get the bushings pressed out.
>
> This has easily been the most frightening job I've ever attempted, mostly
> due to the amount of disassembly required. Ain't nothin' left of that back
> end.

well, you're committed now! seriously, it's a very worthwhile job. you
going to post pics of the old bushings?

TeGGeR® July 24th 05 12:42 AM

chip > wrote in
:

> On 23 Jul 2005 01:37:27 GMT, "TeGGeR®" > wrote:
>
>>http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/...suspension.jpg
>>
>>I'm off to the machine shop tomorrow to get the bushings pressed out.
>>
>>This has easily been the most frightening job I've ever attempted,
>>mostly due to the amount of disassembly required. Ain't nothin' left
>>of that back end.

> beat them out with a hammer, we don't press them at the shop. I've
> done them on the car.
> Chip

Even the shop had some trouble due to the rust. I would have been stuck had
I tried that method.

Also, four bolts took a big air wrench to get loose, and one never did come
out and needed to be ground off. Unfortunately, the shop also managed to
knock off the nut (on the trailing arm) for the bolt on the outer end of
the lower control arm. Now I have to get a new Grade-10 bolt and nut to fit
that area. I've temporarily got a 10x70mm Grade-8 bolt and Nyloc nut from
Home Depot in there just so I can button everything back up.

And one of the bolts for the upper arm on the one side feels like it wants
to cross-thread, and of course the stores are now closed and I don't have
the correct size tap to chase the threads with.

TeGGeR® July 24th 05 12:45 AM

jim beam > wrote in
:

> TeGGeR® wrote:
>> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/...suspension.jpg
>>
>> I'm off to the machine shop tomorrow to get the bushings pressed out.
>>
>> This has easily been the most frightening job I've ever attempted,
>> mostly due to the amount of disassembly required. Ain't nothin' left
>> of that back end.

> well, you're committed now! seriously, it's a very worthwhile job.
> you going to post pics of the old bushings?

It's all back in now, with a couple of headaches (see my reply to chip).

Just have to put the brakes back together and do the roll-around bit before
I set the alignment back to what I measured before I started, and tighten
everythibg back up.

I notice almost all the bolts have those little blue Nylon inserts in them.
Now I'm wondering if I should get all new bolts or just use Loctite.

The Red Loctite says it needs 450F of heat to be able to remove them once
they've set, which makes me kinda leery of using it.

And yes, I saved the old bushings. They look pretty gross. Both the big
ones were almost severed on the top rubber leg.

jim beam July 24th 05 01:37 AM

TeGGeR® wrote:
> jim beam > wrote in
> :
>

>>TeGGeR® wrote:
>>
>>>http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/...suspension.jpg
>>>
>>>I'm off to the machine shop tomorrow to get the bushings pressed out.
>>>
>>>This has easily been the most frightening job I've ever attempted,
>>>mostly due to the amount of disassembly required. Ain't nothin' left
>>>of that back end.

>>well, you're committed now! seriously, it's a very worthwhile job.
>>you going to post pics of the old bushings?
>>

> It's all back in now, with a couple of headaches (see my reply to chip).
>
> Just have to put the brakes back together and do the roll-around bit before
> I set the alignment back to what I measured before I started, and tighten
> everythibg back up.
>
> I notice almost all the bolts have those little blue Nylon inserts in them.
> Now I'm wondering if I should get all new bolts or just use Loctite.

i've not bothered & i can't say i've had any problems. if you're going
to use loctite, /don't/ use high strength - the fact that the nylon
inserts are so small indicates there's not much loosening going on.
blue should do you.

jim beam July 24th 05 01:42 AM

TeGGeR® wrote:
> chip > wrote in
> :
>

>>On 23 Jul 2005 01:37:27 GMT, "TeGGeR®" > wrote:
>>

>>>http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/...suspension.jpg
>>>
>>>I'm off to the machine shop tomorrow to get the bushings pressed out.
>>>
>>>This has easily been the most frightening job I've ever attempted,
>>>mostly due to the amount of disassembly required. Ain't nothin' left
>>>of that back end.

>>beat them out with a hammer, we don't press them at the shop. I've
>>done them on the car.
>> Chip

> Even the shop had some trouble due to the rust. I would have been stuck had
> I tried that method.
>
> Also, four bolts took a big air wrench to get loose, and one never did come
> out and needed to be ground off. Unfortunately, the shop also managed to
> knock off the nut (on the trailing arm) for the bolt on the outer end of
> the lower control arm. Now I have to get a new Grade-10 bolt and nut to fit
> that area. I've temporarily got a 10x70mm Grade-8 bolt and Nyloc nut from
> Home Depot in there just so I can button everything back up.
>
> And one of the bolts for the upper arm on the one side feels like it wants
> to cross-thread, and of course the stores are now closed and I don't have
> the correct size tap to chase the threads with.

try not to chase if you can avoid it. if you jack the arm up into
position and use the right bolt, the one with the rounded end, you
should be able to get it in ok. the jacking bit is the key. one time,
i even dropped the two big pivot bolts back off to make it easier to get
a difficult top arm in. once located & loosely bolted, getting the
pivot bolts back was fairly straight forward. do the one with the
elongated slot first.

jim beam July 24th 05 01:45 AM

jim beam wrote:
> TeGGeR® wrote:
>
>> jim beam > wrote in
>> :

>>> well, you're committed now! seriously, it's a very worthwhile job.
>>> you going to post pics of the old bushings?
>>>

>> It's all back in now, with a couple of headaches (see my reply to chip).
>>
>> Just have to put the brakes back together and do the roll-around bit
>> before I set the alignment back to what I measured before I started,
>> and tighten everythibg back up.

forgot to say, you'll still probably need an alignment. no matter how
hard you try to keep everything "just so", it never is, and the
alignment for these rears needs to be really dead-on to be good.

TeGGeR® July 24th 05 02:00 AM

jim beam > wrote in
:

> try not to chase if you can avoid it. if you jack the arm up into
> position and use the right bolt, the one with the rounded end, you
> should be able to get it in ok. the jacking bit is the key. one
> time, i even dropped the two big pivot bolts back off to make it
> easier to get a difficult top arm in. once located & loosely bolted,
> getting the pivot bolts back was fairly straight forward. do the one
> with the elongated slot first.

That's not the problem. I have a clear view into the hole (left side, rear
slotted hole) and it's a totally clear path into the hole. I can get it to
take the first two threads or so, but then it binds, like it does when it
seats. Or cross-threads.

The other bolt is fully home.

Just settled the suspension. Ride height is back where it should be. I'm
off to tighten and align.

TeGGeR® July 24th 05 02:03 AM

jim beam > wrote in
:

> forgot to say, you'll still probably need an alignment. no matter how
> hard you try to keep everything "just so", it never is, and the
> alignment for these rears needs to be really dead-on to be good.

Sorta wondering about that.

The way I'm measuring it, I'm getting 9 1/16" on the left and 8 31/32" on
the right (doesn't matter now how I'm getting that). The left tire has
excess wear on the outer tread.

I'll set both to as close to 8 31/32" as I can, then get a proper
alignment.