AutoBanter

-   Driving (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Can out-of-state police pull you over? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=8139)

223rem January 3rd 05 08:02 PM

Can out-of-state police pull you over?

I was doing 80 on the Indiana toll road (speed limit 65 mph)
when I noticed a cop car ahead and slowed down to its speed of
about 70 mph.

Well, I soon noticed that the cop car had IL plates. Thinking
that he cant pull me over, I passed the cop car (on the left)
and was soon back to 80 mph. Was I right, or just lucky?

Arif Khokar January 3rd 05 08:19 PM

223rem wrote:

[While in Indiana]
> Well, I soon noticed that the cop car had IL plates. Thinking
> that he cant pull me over, I passed the cop car (on the left)
> and was soon back to 80 mph.

You're correct. I recall a similar situation when passing a marked VA
State Police vehicle while driving in WV.

Arif Khokar January 3rd 05 08:19 PM

[While in Indiana]

Motorhead Lawyer January 3rd 05 09:38 PM

223rem wrote:
> I was doing 80 on the Indiana toll road (speed limit 65 mph)
> when I noticed a cop car ahead and slowed down to its speed of
> about 70 mph.
>
> Well, I soon noticed that the cop car had IL plates. Thinking
> that he cant pull me over, I passed the cop car (on the left)
> and was soon back to 80 mph. Was I right, or just lucky?

Both. Any cop from Illinois is probably under the impression that "65
MPH" *means* 80 mph.
--
C.R. Krieger
(Been there; done that)

Motorhead Lawyer January 3rd 05 09:38 PM

Brent P January 3rd 05 10:14 PM

In article . com>, Motorhead Lawyer wrote:

> 223rem wrote:
>> I was doing 80 on the Indiana toll road (speed limit 65 mph)
>> when I noticed a cop car ahead and slowed down to its speed of
>> about 70 mph.
>>
>> Well, I soon noticed that the cop car had IL plates. Thinking
>> that he cant pull me over, I passed the cop car (on the left)
>> and was soon back to 80 mph. Was I right, or just lucky?

> Both. Any cop from Illinois is probably under the impression that "65
> MPH" *means* 80 mph.

For them it means 95mph. However for anyone else, it means no more than
70mph or if they aren't looking to meet a performance objective, slower
than they are driving.

Brent P January 3rd 05 10:14 PM

Skip Elliott Bowman January 3rd 05 10:21 PM

"223rem" > wrote in message
>I was doing 80 on the Indiana toll road (speed limit 65 mph)
> when I noticed a cop car ahead and slowed down to its speed of
> about 70 mph.
>
> Well, I soon noticed that the cop car had IL plates. Thinking
> that he cant pull me over, I passed the cop car (on the left)
> and was soon back to 80 mph. Was I right, or just lucky?

I think that in the case of a pursuit, cops of one jurisdiction may carry
the pursuit into another jurisdiction, once they get clearance from
dispatch.

Skip Elliott Bowman January 3rd 05 10:21 PM

gpsman January 3rd 05 11:47 PM

223rem wrote:
> I was doing 80 on the Indiana toll road (speed limit 65 mph)
> when I noticed a cop car ahead and slowed down to its speed of
> about 70 mph.
>
> Well, I soon noticed that the cop car had IL plates. Thinking
> that he cant pull me over, I passed the cop car (on the left)
> and was soon back to 80 mph. Was I right, or just lucky?

-----

I suspect he *could* pull you over... if he felt like it. He flips his
lights on and pulls in behind you... whadaya gonna do, ignore him?

My best guess is most out-of-state cops are on some type administrative
assignment and, if you were weaving or otherwise appeared dangerous he
could pull you over and "911" a local LEO with authority to the scene,
sign a complaint and be on his way in 30 minutes.
-----

- gpsman