AutoBanter

-   VW air cooled (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   So... (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=62303)

[email protected] April 14th 06 04:14 PM

So...

HI all.
Ha ha. Well I was painting some stuff on my bug with good ol' POR-15
yesterday and was unaware that a hole had formed in on of the rubber
gloves I was wearing. It was a messy job and the paint got all over my
gloves and in turn my hand without me knowing it. Didn't feel it
seeping in... Just posting to see if anybody out there has successfuly
removed this stuff once it's dry. I doubt it, but, heck, might as well
ask! Chisel? Jackhammer? What do you think about wearing gloves to
my job interview next week? I'm proly SOL, but had to check! =)
Feel free to make fun of me.

Steve

Tim Rogers April 14th 06 06:10 PM

So...

> wrote in message
ups.com...

> Just posting to see if anybody out there has successfuly
> removed this stuff once it's dry.

............I've never been able to get rid of all of it but sand paper will
remove the outer layer of skin along with at least some of the POR15. Just
go slowly and stop before blood starts appearing.........lol

........I think that acetone will soften it but I'd be afraid to have any
prolonged skin contact with it. It took it off of my wedding ring once but
maybe the rubbing with a scouring pad would have worked without the acetone
anyway.

.........If it's just for an interview, maybe your wife/girlfriend has some
makeup that would hide it temporarily.

Jan Andersson April 14th 06 08:38 PM

So...

wrote:
> HI all.
> Ha ha. Well I was painting some stuff on my bug with good ol' POR-15
> yesterday and was unaware that a hole had formed in on of the rubber
> gloves I was wearing. It was a messy job and the paint got all over my
> gloves and in turn my hand without me knowing it. Didn't feel it
> seeping in... Just posting to see if anybody out there has successfuly
> removed this stuff once it's dry. I doubt it, but, heck, might as well
> ask! Chisel? Jackhammer? What do you think about wearing gloves to
> my job interview next week? I'm proly SOL, but had to check! =)
> Feel free to make fun of me.
>
> Steve

Ha-Ha!

:)

Been there, done that ;)

Jan

Remco April 15th 06 12:56 AM

So...

wrote:
> HI all.
> Ha ha. Well I was painting some stuff on my bug with good ol' POR-15
> yesterday and was unaware that a hole had formed in on of the rubber
> gloves I was wearing. It was a messy job and the paint got all over my
> gloves and in turn my hand without me knowing it. Didn't feel it
> seeping in... Just posting to see if anybody out there has successfuly
> removed this stuff once it's dry. I doubt it, but, heck, might as well
> ask! Chisel? Jackhammer? What do you think about wearing gloves to
> my job interview next week? I'm proly SOL, but had to check! =)
> Feel free to make fun of me.
>
> Steve

Yup, sounds familiar other than that I switched from POR to Rustbullet.
My thumb is grey as I type :)

I use this orange smelling waterless/water added hand cleaner on sale
at BJs. It also has some gritty substance in it. With a nail brush, you
can get a lot off or at least weaken so it takes a lot less time to
wear off.

Remco

Mike64Bug April 15th 06 05:21 PM

So...

The sandpaper method has always worked well (enough)
for me most times. A similar alternate method has been a Dremel tool
with a medium grit sanding drum. The small cordless Dremel on low speed
has done wonders for me in the past. :o)

Wild Bill April 16th 06 03:24 AM

So...

My worst ever with por 15 was the time I sat in small puddle of it and
my coveralls and underpants were stuck to my arse! . All of us have
gotten black hand syndrome using POR-15. Good stuff but nasty on the
skin! Get it off as soon as you get it on!

Wild Bill Tucker
Pensacola, Fl
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-rareair

Remco April 16th 06 07:36 PM

So...

Wild Bill wrote:
> My worst ever with por 15 was the time I sat in small puddle of it and
> my coveralls and underpants were stuck to my arse! . All of us have
> gotten black hand syndrome using POR-15. Good stuff but nasty on the
> skin! Get it off as soon as you get it on!

LOL!!
To sandpaper your ass couldn't have been fun.

Btw, thanks for not sharing pix, Bill :)

BratscheMan April 16th 06 10:11 PM

So...

> LOL!!
> To sandpaper your ass couldn't have been fun.
>

> Btw, thanks for not sharing pix, Bill :)

Ha ha ha ha! Yeah.... Just hands here. I hope. Thanks for the
replies. I've been vigorously scrubbing my hands every time I think of
it and the stuff seems to be weakening and more and more comes off each
time. Should be good come interview time! =) Happy Easter!

Steve

Wild Bill April 18th 06 04:56 AM

So...

I had the coveralls and skivies cut away and the wife really had fun
doing that! She was laughing so hard that I thought for sure she was
going to pull a Lorena Bobbit on me!! Well the Por-15 bandaid finally
"fell " off in about a week or so. I wish I had some photos but then
again NOT!! LOL.

[email protected] April 18th 06 02:06 PM

So...

Next time you have to use a decent pair of gloves or maybe not.
Now you learn how to make you wife laugh LOL
The first time is usually funnier ;-)

Joćo