AutoBanter

-   Ford Explorer (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Does Ford in the US..... (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=20744)

Steve S. October 26th 04 10:50 AM

Does Ford in the US.....

Just wondering if Ford in the US has a model similar to this?

http://www.ford.com.au/territory/

If they don't, I'm wondering how well something like this would go in the
North American market?

S.

Kenneth J. Harris October 26th 04 04:13 PM

Seems to approximate the current Ford Explorer/Mercury Mountaineer in
size and power. The engine is more sophisicated than the 4.0L V6 and
optional 4.6L V8 used here--the output is very similar to the V8's. Our
engines use unleaded regular gas and have 5 speed automatics. As far as
handling, off road performance etc., who knows? (although some would say
that anything would be an improvement). I didn't calculate how the
price compares.

Ron October 27th 04 03:19 AM

Yes we do, it's called an Escape with 3.0 205 HP V6. Mercury and Mazda
both have versions of this car. Best selling small SUV in America and it
will tow over 3500 Lbs. with the proper rigging. About $23,500.00 USD
for the XLT version, less with the 4 Cyl. and 2 WD.

Steve S. October 27th 04 05:36 AM

The Escape is also in Ford Australia model range....

S.

JaWise October 27th 04 05:39 AM

>Yes we do, it's called an Escape with 3.0 205 HP V6. Mercury and Mazda
>both have versions of this car

Not really similar to an escape. The territory has 3rd row seating and bigger
engines. Seems more like an Acura MDX to me.

C. E. White October 27th 04 04:51 PM

JaWise wrote:

> >Yes we do, it's called an Escape with 3.0 205 HP V6. Mercury and Mazda
> >both have versions of this car

> Not really similar to an escape. The territory has 3rd row seating and bigger
> engines. Seems more like an Acura MDX to me.

Wll there is the new Ford Freestyle in the US. Like the
Escape it is basically a FWD Station wagon, with an AWD
option. It has third row seating. I sat in one the other day
and it seemed nice enough for the price (at least the base
model price).

Andy G. November 4th 04 03:07 AM

It looks like the new Ford Freestyle to me. I believe that it's based on
the same platform as the new Ford 500 sedan.

u...

C. E. White November 4th 04 01:01 PM

"Andy G." wrote:

> It looks like the new Ford Freestyle to me. I believe that it's based on
> the same platform as the new Ford 500 sedan.

The Territory is not the same as the Freestyle. It is a Rear
Wheel Drive / 4WD Package with a longitudinally mounted
engine (an inline 6 at that). The Freestyle (and 500) are
Front Wheel Drive /AWD package with a transversely mounted
engine (a V-6). They may look alike, but they don't share
much of anything.

Ed