AutoBanter

-   Jeep (http://www.autobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   xenon flares - repaired? (http://www.autobanter.com/showthread.php?t=21757)

HomeBrewer January 21st 05 02:14 AM

xenon flares - repaired?

I have some 4" wide xenon fender flares for my cj7. I have them, but have
not bought them yet. The person selling them to me said he used wax on the
front ones and it left them faded looking:

http://www.t3e871.rchomepage.com/ngpics/flare2.jpg
http://www.t3e871.rchomepage.com/ngpics/flare4.jpg

Any suggestions on how to make these look better? or should I pass. They
sell for $220 new and he's willing to sell to me for $100. I've tried wiping
with water - nothing.
--
___________________
HomeBrewer

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III January 21st 05 02:39 AM

Heat gun.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Kevin in San Diego January 21st 05 05:58 AM

Damn, you beat me to it. Heat gun works good on those from what I hear.
KH

Kevin in San Diego January 21st 05 05:58 AM

They could also be painted.

twaldron January 21st 05 01:52 PM

The wax didn't do that, but he put the wax on to try and fix the faded
look he was already getting. If you go the heatgun route, be sure not to
get too close or you will leave behind a melted spot. :) It's probably
your best bet considering how chaulky they look.

HomeBrewer wrote:
> I have some 4" wide xenon fender flares for my cj7. I have them, but have
> not bought them yet. The person selling them to me said he used wax on the
> front ones and it left them faded looking:
>
> http://www.t3e871.rchomepage.com/ngpics/flare2.jpg
> http://www.t3e871.rchomepage.com/ngpics/flare4.jpg
>
> Any suggestions on how to make these look better? or should I pass. They
> sell for $220 new and he's willing to sell to me for $100. I've tried wiping
> with water - nothing.

tw

71 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco
03 TJ Rubicon - Rubicon Express 4.5"
01 XJ Sport

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
-- Dave Barry

Pronunciation: 'jEp
Function: noun
Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase')
A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80-inch wheelbase,
1/4-ton capacity, and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in
World War II.

(Please remove the OBVIOUS to reply by email)

[email protected] January 21st 05 02:44 PM

You could try waxing it with a product called colorback. It is a wax
with pigments in it. It works well, but make sure you wear gloves when
applying it!

DougW January 22nd 05 12:59 AM

HomeBrewer did pass the time by typing:
> I have some 4" wide xenon fender flares for my cj7. I have them, but have
> not bought them yet. The person selling them to me said he used wax on the
> front ones and it left them faded looking:
>
> http://www.t3e871.rchomepage.com/ngpics/flare2.jpg
> http://www.t3e871.rchomepage.com/ngpics/flare4.jpg
>
> Any suggestions on how to make these look better? or should I pass. They
> sell for $220 new and he's willing to sell to me for $100. I've tried wiping
> with water - nothing.

I've had good results with McGuires Gold Class Trim Detailer. So far the handles
and trim on the ZJ are staying nice and new looking. Put the stuff on outside though,
it's stinky.

--
DougW

1BADYJ January 22nd 05 02:32 AM

That is sun bleeching. Not wax. By the time you get doen messing around
with the flares you'd be better of buying new ones. But, there is a
product I have heard about that is marketed through ATV/dirbike shops
that is for restoring sun bleeched plastic. I have no idea what its
called, but stop at your local bike shop and ask them I am sure they
can tell you.