Showing results 1 to 25 of 90
Search took 1.79 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: ray
Forum: Technology October 20th 06, 03:16 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 26
Posted By ray
bypassing rear brakes

Don wrote:
> On 16 Oct 2006 15:49:57 -0700, "John S." > wrote:
>
>> Big T wrote:
>>> A rear brake line blew on my 91 Toyota Corolla the other day due to
>>> corosion, and rather than...
Forum: Technology October 11th 06, 08:05 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 19
Posted By ray
Floor jack on a chevy venture.

Mike Romain wrote:
> ray wrote:
>> Mike Romain wrote:
>>> Floor jacks don't work on all vehicles. Lots are too low to get the
>>> jack under the subframe or end of the shock tower. Jacking on a...
Forum: Technology October 11th 06, 06:33 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech

Comboverfish wrote:
> Anonymous wrote:
>> Mike,
>>
>> Thank you for your help - the owners manual only mentions reinforced
>> portions on the sides of the unibody near each of the four wheels. ...
Forum: Technology October 11th 06, 06:31 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech

Mike Romain wrote:
> Floor jacks don't work on all vehicles. Lots are too low to get the
> jack under the subframe or end of the shock tower. Jacking on a control
> arm will bend them too.

Forum: Technology October 6th 06, 02:20 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 0
Posted By ray
02 Subaru Legacy - can clutch be adjusted?

I test drove one the other day, and it was slipping something fierce.

The salesguy of course was completely surprised, but promised to look
into it and call me back...

On my GM cars they all have...
Forum: Technology October 3rd 06, 07:01 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 24
Posted By ray
DOHC, SOHC, NOHC Performance benefits, or hype?

Steve wrote:
> ray wrote:
>

>> That said, the Gen III should have been DOHC, size be damned. And I
>> own one in my Trans Am and love it, but in a high performance
>> application pushrods make...
Forum: Technology October 3rd 06, 06:47 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 56
Posted By ray
Which oil filters are best?

Steve wrote:
> Pistons, yes. Blocks, yes. Intake manifolds, yes. Transmissions, yes (if
> they don't decide to buy a Borg-Warner or a Getrag gearset). But not
> alternators, starters, power...
Forum: Technology October 3rd 06, 03:21 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 30
Posted By ray
Problem with our sable

Lawrence Glickman wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 02:14:43 GMT, ray
> > wrote:
>
>> ahh... all jobs suck at one time or another.
>
> Some suck more than others. ...
Forum: Technology October 3rd 06, 03:16 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech

TeGGeR® wrote:

>> I think OHV engines are really great. However, they aren't _quite_ as
>> smooth as the best DOHC setups. But before knocking on pushrods and
>> overhead valves, go drive a...
Forum: Technology October 2nd 06, 11:27 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 28
Posted By ray
Replacing SUV tire(s)

Wally wrote:
> Yes, that is what I want - or even to keep the new tires and still get
> the refund, as the service manager implied :)
>
> By the way, the new tires have a tread depth, according to...
Forum: Technology October 2nd 06, 11:26 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 28
Posted By ray
Replacing SUV tire(s)

Wally wrote:

> The Auto Center Manager took me aside and said that if I show him the
> owners manual or he can chat with the MB technician about replacing
> tires in pairs (and not all 4) then he...
Forum: Technology October 2nd 06, 06:47 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 4
Posted By ray
oval track spring question

I know there's a couple of racers on here, maybe you can help me
understand why all the books and all the experts recommend a stiffer LR
spring over the RR? They say do it, but never say why.

I...
Forum: Technology October 2nd 06, 06:42 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 28
Posted By ray
Replacing SUV tire(s)

phaeton wrote:
> ray wrote:
>
>> And yes, this was a CYA policy by them.
>>
>> I've had non-stock sized tires mounted on my truck by mentioning upfront
>> that I knew they were nonstock and they...
Forum: Technology October 2nd 06, 06:39 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 28
Posted By ray
Replacing SUV tire(s)

C. E. White wrote:
> "ray" > wrote in message
>
>> And yes, this was a CYA policy by them.
>>
>> I've had non-stock sized tires...
Forum: Technology October 2nd 06, 06:34 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 28
Posted By ray
Replacing SUV tire(s)

C. E. White wrote:

> There is an interesting thing about radial tires that comes in to play. The
> OD of the tire has only a secondary affect on the rolling radius (the
> dimension that affect the...
Forum: Technology October 2nd 06, 03:37 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 28
Posted By ray
Replacing SUV tire(s)

Walter Cohen wrote:
> I had a flat tire on the front passenger side tire on my SUV. My wife
> didn't know about it and started driving, not realizing the tire was flat,
> and a few minutes later...
Forum: Technology September 29th 06, 05:42 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 12
Posted By ray
Improving gas mileage on 2000 ford explorer

Masospaghetti wrote:
> wrote:
>> Masospaghetti wrote:
>>> Hi all -- vehicle is a 2000 Ford Explorer Sport, 95,000 miles, 2WD,
>>> 5-speed manual with the 4.0L OHV V6...
Forum: Technology September 28th 06, 09:59 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 39
Posted By ray
Drum Brakes and Disc Brakes, A Historical Question

Ashton Crusher wrote:
>> Or is this another thing where the rest of the world had 4-wheel disc
>> brakes since the 1950s, but Detroit refused to 'progress'?
>>
>> discuss!
>

> It may seem...
Forum: Technology September 28th 06, 09:51 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 30
Posted By ray
Oil filter - what size particles??

Lawrence Glickman wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 20:37:45 GMT, ray
> > wrote:
>
>> Lawrence Glickman wrote:
>>> So, if any of my engines take a dump, I highly doubt...
Forum: Technology September 22nd 06, 08:07 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 17
Posted By ray
How Many Miles Are A Lot?

phaeton wrote:

> So how many miles are a lot these days? What do you all feel are (with
> proper care) the longer-lasting cars and trucks?

Post 1980, I've seen cars "die" about 4 ways:
1-body...
Forum: Technology September 19th 06, 07:01 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 7
Posted By ray
Manual Trans

wrote:
> ray wrote:
>> jeffcoslacker wrote:
Forum: Technology September 19th 06, 02:55 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 7
Posted By ray
Manual Trans

jeffcoslacker wrote:
> ray Wrote:
>> wrote:
>>> I have a 1990 Subaru legacy AWD 2.2 manual trans, the throw out
>> bearing
>>> wore a groove right thru the shaft that the bearing...
Forum: Technology September 18th 06, 09:31 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 7
Posted By ray
Manual Trans

wrote:
> I have a 1990 Subaru legacy AWD 2.2 manual trans, the throw out bearing
> wore a groove right thru the shaft that the bearing rides on and broke
> it right off. On this...
Forum: Technology September 18th 06, 03:18 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 50
Posted By ray
Who besides myself, carries their tools in their car?

Lawrence Glickman wrote:
> No guarantees in Life, I guess. You do what you think is best, and go
> with that. Right now, I'm planning on just a minimal kit for the
> vehicle, and leaving all the...
Forum: Technology September 15th 06, 06:45 PM Posted to rec.autos.tech
Replies: 14
Posted By ray
remind me again why I don't buy cheap brake parts

Mike Romain wrote:

>>> Now I get to go back to Partsource and chew them out.
>> PartSouce? That's Canadian Tire...
>>
>> --
>> TeGGeR®
>
> I had to stop going there for ones for my Jeeps. They...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 90