Showing results 1 to 25 of 60
Search took 0.12 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Howard Rose[_1_]
Forum: VW air cooled April 27th 09, 09:31 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 11
Posted By Howard Rose[_1_]
Leaking valve cover gasket q.

1 who waits > wrote:
> I just did another valve adjustment and the new gasket leaked. What is
>
> the best way to ensure it won't leak.
> soak the gasket first, buy other...
Forum: VW air cooled March 24th 09, 10:10 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 33
Posted By Howard Rose[_1_]
Where Did Everyone Go?

"P.J.Berg" > wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 18:57:51 +0100, John J > wrote:
>
> > Howard Rose wrote:
> >> On 26 Feb, 00:28, Jan Andersson...
Forum: VW air cooled March 24th 09, 10:08 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 10
Posted By Howard Rose[_1_]
Damn it !!!

"John" > wrote:
> No offence to individual Chinese people but I wonder why China insists
> on
> turning out such rubbish. They would still be cheaper than most things
> the
Forum: VW air cooled March 20th 09, 06:31 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 33
Posted By Howard Rose[_1_]
Where Did Everyone Go?

On 26 Feb, 00:28, Jan Andersson >
wrote:
> Funkie wrote:
> > I know. Even 7 or 5 years ago it was still really hopping. I wonder whether
> > if the ISP not offering...
Forum: VW air cooled December 6th 07, 01:58 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 10
Posted By Howard Rose[_1_]
DYANE!!!!!

On 3 Dec, 03:55, wrote:
> Off topic, but look what I just got!!!
>
> IT's a RHD Citroen Dyane beater from England!http://rides.webshots.com/album/561640596QVfuav

Nice one Ben, so...
Forum: VW air cooled September 24th 07, 11:15 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 4
Posted By Howard Rose[_1_]
Engine dies at low RPM

Hi RAMVA!

I have FINALLY just fitted the engine back into my 1975 1303 after a
top-end overhaul (AR-code 1300 upgraded to 1584cc with new B&P's with
a 34PICT carb/manifold) which I did myself.

When...
Forum: VW air cooled August 16th 07, 02:03 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 3
Posted By Howard Rose[_1_]
Which jack is correct for 1967?

The Bilstein one with the breaker bar! My '66 has that.

On 16 Aug, 04:03, griff > wrote:
> For a 1967 Beetle which jack is correct?
>
> -the Bilstein which needs a...
Forum: VW air cooled June 27th 07, 03:19 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,uk.rec.cars.vw.aircooled
Replies: 21
Posted By Howard Rose[_1_]
GT or not?

On 27 Jun, 14:54, John Boy > wrote:
> caroline wrote:
> > [...]
>
> Given the long list of missing parts, it does not matter if it was a GT.
> The GT was nothing special when new. What...
Forum: VW air cooled June 26th 07, 11:57 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled,uk.rec.cars.vw.aircooled
Replies: 21
Posted By Howard Rose[_1_]
GT or not?

The UK version of the GT Beetle had a few unique features and was a
limited edition of 2500.

Gearbox had a 3.875:1 ratio - same as the 1303S and 1600 Karmann Ghia
'box, but swingaxle.
1600...
Forum: VW air cooled June 9th 07, 10:37 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 10
Posted By Howard Rose[_1_]
Barrels to engine case - sealant or gasket?

On 30 May, 01:32, "dave AKA vwdoc1" > wrote:
> I thought some of the early 6 volt Type 1 engines had these cylinder to head
> gaskets too? I forget though. ;-)
>
> I remember...
Forum: VW air cooled May 29th 07, 11:09 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 10
Posted By Howard Rose[_1_]
Barrels to engine case - sealant or gasket?

Thanks for the replies! Sealant and no gasket it is then.

I also noticed that there are some metal rings in the cylinder heads
where the barrels join. Are these standard? I can't find...
Forum: VW air cooled May 29th 07, 01:23 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 10
Posted By Howard Rose[_1_]
Barrels to engine case - sealant or gasket?

The engine top-end rebuild is coming along nicely now, mostly
assembled and pistons attached. Also repainted the tinware :-)

When putting the barrels on, I have heard two ways to seal them to...
Forum: VW air cooled May 24th 07, 11:29 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 3
Posted By Howard Rose[_1_]
Outside Scraper Installation

I also find that the clips provided with the new scrapers - even
original German ones - are useless. Reuse the original clips, they
are much better!
Forum: VW air cooled May 24th 07, 11:25 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 2
Posted By Howard Rose[_1_]
Clutch plate removal

I need to remove the old flywheel/clutch assembly from my old engine
and transfer it to the new one. Both are AR-code 1300's, so should be
interchangeable.

To remove the flywheel, one must also...
Forum: VW air cooled May 24th 07, 11:18 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 6
Posted By Howard Rose[_1_]
Finally pulled the engine in my 1303!

On 23 May, 04:46, "dragenwagen" > wrote:
> To piggy back on Jan's reply...
>
> Have the heads checked out at a machine shop...new valves and valve guides
> is always good,...
Forum: VW air cooled May 23rd 07, 12:13 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 6
Posted By Howard Rose[_1_]
Finally pulled the engine in my 1303!

I've been threatening to do this for ages now, but finally managed to
get around to it. It's the first time I've removed an engine from a
Beetle, and I have to say it really IS as easy as people...
Forum: VW air cooled May 13th 07, 04:19 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 4
Posted By Howard Rose[_1_]
What's it worth then?

On 13 May, 16:11, "Adrian" > wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Owned plenty of aircooled VW's in my teens and early 20's, went through the
> GTi, BMW, Porsche phase, eventually went...
Forum: VW air cooled May 10th 07, 06:59 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 27
Posted By Howard Rose[_1_]
Should air cooled VWs be banned from the Freeways?

On 10 May, 00:25, "
> wrote:
> I believe Air-Cooled VeeDubs need to be banned from freeways or any
> place where the speed limit is 65 mph and...
Forum: VW air cooled May 9th 07, 12:12 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 2
Posted By Howard Rose[_1_]
Window scraper

I've just don't this on my 1303, and Jan has it pretty much spot-on.
I would recommend to keep the old clips as the clips in the new
scrapers (even genuine VW ones) are too weak.
Forum: VW air cooled May 9th 07, 12:11 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 1
Posted By Howard Rose[_1_]
info on vw's with rack n pinion?

On 4 May, 04:21, Flea > wrote:
> ok i know that superbeetles switched to rack n pinion around 75 or 76
> right? ... was it just the supers? or all the beetles? .. considering
Forum: VW air cooled April 18th 07, 01:11 AM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 3
Posted By Howard Rose[_1_]
Exhaust for 1641

On 17 Apr, 14:40, Speedy Jim > wrote:

> One problem with many of the afetrmarket exhausts is the lack
> of good flow of hot gases thru the manifold preheat pipe.
> And you can't...
Forum: VW air cooled March 7th 07, 06:29 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 7
Posted By Howard Rose[_1_]
when did it change?

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 20:59:53 +0100, "bug '59"
> wrote:

>For real?
>I always thought it was aftermarked..
>Sorry for the mis info.

No problem!
Forum: VW air cooled March 6th 07, 08:49 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 7
Posted By Howard Rose[_1_]
when did it change?

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 19:59:51 +0100, "bug '59"
> wrote:

>AFAIK Never. At least in EU
>The seal is suposed to sit in on the body, however it is a collector of dirt...
Forum: VW air cooled March 2nd 07, 07:10 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 6
Posted By Howard Rose[_1_]
deck lid ID please

On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 10:20:50 -0000, "tricky" >
wrote:

>indeed it is - I tried a hair drier on the back and the vents opened. Cool !
>
>Rich

I know you could get decklids like...
Forum: VW air cooled February 22nd 07, 09:45 PM Posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Replies: 13
Posted By Howard Rose[_1_]
carb choice

On 20 Feb 2007 15:56:23 -0800, "badnews" >
wrote:

>I have a 1641 engine mild cam, large valve openings balenced crank.
>what is a good carb to use? Webers are priceeee! Are...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 60