Old May 24th 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default Junkyard Engine Computer Issues

wrote:
> I think the PCM (powertrain control module) in my 1998 Grand Voyager,
> 3.3L w/anti-theft is bad, and I'd like to swap in one from a junk yard.

Update on this. I searched for compatible engine computers online:
http://www.car-part.com/

and found 10 or so. There was a huge variation in price, from $500 to
$65, I ordered the $65 unit from All West Coast Auto Wrecking in
Washington.

They sent me the wrong part, a transmission computer. Easy mistake to
make, that one is on the right fender, the correct part is mounted on
the left fender. I figured I'd get the run around, but they said they
had the right part, and just send back the wrong one, which I did. I
expected it to take a week for them to receive my package and send me
the correct part, but they shipped without waiting so I got it in 3
days.

I plugged it in, and it fixed the problem. So I guess I still have to
buy one from the dealer with the correct VIN programmed, but I can take
my time and won't have to pay a fortune for troubleshooting and having
the wrong parts replaced. In fact, I may take a crack at the bad
computer. I'm an electronic tech by trade, if I can get the potting
compound off I may be able to troubleshoot it. I suspect a voltage
regulator, since the problem affected all parts of the computer.

Oh, I should mention that in searching the net, I found that a lot of
people with a similar problem had fixed it by reflowing the solder on
the instrument cluster connectors. There was a ground that tended to
crack on the 1996-2000 minivans. Their van would suddenly quit and
refuse to start, and they could get it going by pounding on the dash.
So I pulled the instrument cluster, but could see no fractured solder
joints. I reflowed the solder on the cable connectors anyway, but it
didn't help in my case.

Hope this helps someone down the road with one of these problems.
-Paul