Old July 19th 05, 10:49 PM
Peter

"Jim Adney" wrote in message...

> I wonder what happened in mid-69 that made a change necessary. The
> tandem MC had been around for 2.5 years by that time. Could the '71
> comment be aimed at Super beetles? I thought all of these used the
> same pedal cluster.

I don't know why the change in 69 but I assumed that it had something to do
with the depression in the bodywork, referred to in the change for 71. I
figure that they increased the pedal travel in 69 by making a recess in the
front cross panel, for the pedal to seat further down into, rather than
moving th pedals rearward. The change for 71 had to do with re-aligning the
brake pedal closer to the accelerator.

> What I have is a scan sent to me by Dave Hall in the UK. It's
> interesting that the numbers on this sheet are 210mm (unlabled, but
> presumably for early beetles) and 225mm (for mid '69 beetles and
> later, as well as for Type 3s.) There's no tool # on the sheet, just
> "local manufacture" and I don't see any date, but I believe this was
> out of a printed book, rather than microfilm, so I'm guessing that
> your image is later.

The page on my microfiche is dated 9/70. It also shows 210 & 225mm, but I
deducted the 5mm 'cut-off' shown on the diagram as that would represent a
more true dimension.

> Is the 220mm on your image also for Type 3s?

Yes (shown as 225mm)