Old July 19th 05, 10:50 PM
Peter

"Jim Adney" wrote in message...

> OTOH, Peter's suggestion to just measure is quite reasonable. I think
> he's mistaken about removing the pushrod, however. I believe that you
> would just push the pedal forward until the free play goes away and
> then measure from the back of the pedal to the firewall.

In the 1975 VW workshop manual, they make no mention of the gauge and say to
first set the pedal free-play at 190mm, then set the pushrod. I think if
they wanted you to take into account the pushrod free-play as extra to the
pedal free-play, they would have indicated so. Removing the pushrod is my
suggestion, as it is not always obvious where the pedal hits the front cross
panel (carpets etc). As the measurement is 'free-play' as apposed to a
'distance', I figure that if you depress it till it stops, place the tape
and measure back. At least, that is how I have done it before.