Old August 29th 06, 11:05 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
bfd

Default recommendations for 5 series year / model - in UK

Nick wrote:
> "bfd" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
> > John Carrier wrote:
> >> E39 530d is well-regarded. Only significant weakness might be the
> >> plastic/aluminum radiator which can develop cracks in high-miles cars.
> >>
> >> Not sure if diesel can be optioned with sport suspension, but it makes an
> >> already fine-handling machine even better. There are no "stay away
> >> from"
> >> options for the car., but the navigation system is notably inferior to
> >> that
> >> offered on Japanese luxury cars of the same era.
> >>

> > You guys are lucky to get BMW diesels. If BMW ever offers it here in
> > the US, I wouldn't hestitate to get one, especially if you can get it
> > with the sport suspension. After all, once the cars gets kind of old,
> > you can convert it to "bio-diesel" and drive around smelling like
> > french fries (or are we still calling it "FREEDOM FRIES.")
> >

> Can't you import them ?

Not that I'm aware of. We have very strict emission laws, especially
here in California. BMW would need to certify that a diesel engine
meets all EPA/California emission requirement. BMW hasn't sold a diesel
in the US since the E28 524td way back in 1986 or 87.

However, its my understanding that in either 2007 or 08, the US will be
going to something called ultra clean diesel fuel and BMW is suppose to
bring in the highly praised 535d.

One other thing, I would try to stay away from idrive and BMW
navigation as soon as possible. In the US, only the E90 3 Series allows
this option. I bet most people end up not getting either.