Old August 29th 06, 11:14 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Nick

Default recommendations for 5 series year / model - in UK

> Not that I'm aware of. We have very strict emission laws, especially
> here in California. BMW would need to certify that a diesel engine
> meets all EPA/California emission requirement. BMW hasn't sold a diesel
> in the US since the E28 524td way back in 1986 or 87.
>
> However, its my understanding that in either 2007 or 08, the US will be
> going to something called ultra clean diesel fuel and BMW is suppose to
> bring in the highly praised 535d.
>
> One other thing, I would try to stay away from idrive and BMW
> navigation as soon as possible. In the US, only the E90 3 Series allows
> this option. I bet most people end up not getting either.

OK - I thought the euro ones had to meet pretty tight laws nowadays as well
though -
but praps yours are tighter - however some of us Europeans have the
?misguided? opinion that
the US seems to care less about emissions / fuel economy than the Europeans
in their general
lifestyle

Nick