Old August 29th 06, 11:40 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Floyd Rogers[_1_]

Default recommendations for 5 series year / model - in UK

"Nick" > wrote
>> Not that I'm aware of. We have very strict emission laws, especially
>> here in California. BMW would need to certify that a diesel engine
>> meets all EPA/California emission requirement. BMW hasn't sold a diesel
>> in the US since the E28 524td way back in 1986 or 87.
>>

> OK - I thought the euro ones had to meet pretty tight laws nowadays as
> well though -
> but praps yours are tighter - however some of us Europeans have the
> ?misguided? opinion that
> the US seems to care less about emissions / fuel economy than the
> Europeans in their general
> lifestyle

You guys in EU live in your own world. The fact of the matter is that the
US has had stricter emissions requirements than EU for around 30 years,
and our emissions laws have basically led the EU by 10 years during that
period (exclusive of CO2.)

The emissions situation in the US is complicated *currently* by the
fact that we haven't switched to low-sulfur diesel; that comes in next
year and will allow PM/soot reduction to EU levels. However, NOx
requirements that phase in next year are more stringent than EU standards:
diesel autos have to meet the same NOx levels that gasoline autos meet.

FloydR