Old August 16th 06, 10:55 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
IMac

Default I Must be Getting Slow

On 16 Aug 2006 05:25:35 -0700, wrote:

>How are people doing 1:12's at the Canada track in the FIA 2005 rFactor
>F1 mod? I've seen that online. I suppose there are probably people
>doing 1:10's! Well, I'm stuck at around 1:18 at best. I had several
>racecast world records in F3's, McLarens, etc., so I can drive OK.
>
>Is this a setup deal? If it is, does anyone have a link to a fast
>setup? It sure doesn't feel like I'm leaving six seconds on the table!
>
>What are the real F1 lap times at that track?
>
>Pat Dotson

Well, that's a relief! If a veteran of Pat's experience and
reputation in the racesim world is noticing this too, then I don't
feel so bad!

Haven't spent too much time with the 2005 mod, but I'm definitely
confused with the laptimes I've noticed in the 1979 mod. I've been
running Monte Carlo in the Ferrari for the last week (and loving it!),
but my best lap is somewhere in the 1:33 range. Seen many folks on
RSC and online talking about times in the 1:24-1:25 range with a best
somewhere around 1:23. I've watched a replay of Greger Huttu's 1:23
lap and frankly, it doesn't look all that different to what I'm doing
with the same setup. Okay, perhaps he brakes a few metres later on
corner entry and gets on the throttle a few metres earlier on exit,
but I would think that that would only account for 3-4 seconds (at
most) over a single lap. While I'll never be mistaken for an alien, I
honestly didn't think I sucked enough to be 10 seconds a lap slower at
Monaco! As for Kyalami, my best laps are only about 3 seconds slower
than the real fast guys.

Montreal could be a question of corner-cutting, but given the nature
of the track I don't think it would be an issue at Monaco.

What about aids? Could the super fast lap times be down to the aids
being used? Personally, in the 1979 mod, I don't use any aids while
in the 2005 I'm using traction control only.

IMac