Old June 21st 05, 07:21 AM
LurfysMa

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 09:35:26 +0300, Jyrki Alakuijala
> wrote:

>LurfysMa wrote:
>
>> What is the "mm" reading of new brakes?

>Asking for an '"mm" reading' sounds equally strange for us Europeans
>as an '"inch" reading' would sound to you. It is customary to talk
>about thickness, and, for Lexus brake pads, the value is naturally
>expressed in mm units.

Sorry, I worded the question poorly. I actually knew that "mm" meant
millimeter.

>For a 1994 Lexus LS 400, standard brake pad thickness is 11 mm
>for front brakes, and 10 mm for rear brakes.

It's a 1999, but probably the same values, right?

Is there someplace online where you looked that up?

>Minimum recommended
>by the manual is 1 mm, but 2 mm is probably a slightly better
>idea, since some rumors claim that brake pads may shatter if they
>get too thin. Consider 1 mm as the absolute minimum where you should
>have changed the pads yesterday.

Kinda like the tourist on a bus who asked a local where to get off for
Elm Street. The reply was, just watch where me and get off one stop
before I do.