Old November 19th 04, 05:59 AM
mike gray

Matt Whiting wrote:

> Trouble is the optimum timing depends on more than just RPM. Yes, I
> know that there were also vacuum driven distributors to allow factoring
> in MP, but optimum timing depends on more than just RPM and MP. My
> point is that automatic controls, well designed, will beat a human every
> time. I don't if the automation is mechanical or electrical/electronic.
>
> In the case of spark timing, since it depends on several factors, only
> two of which I mentioned above, electronic control is the way to go.

If you program it yerself, yes.

>> You haven't done much racing. We race in the wet. Oil (and coolant) and
>> dirt/gravel is a constant hazard, and if you have both wheels on the
>> pavement, yer not taking the corner right. Race cars (other than
>> showroom stock, IT, and similar "street legal" classes) do not use ABS.
>> Not in pro racing, not in Sunday afternoon amateur racing.

> Probably because the rules don't allow them. They've been introduced
> and subsequently banned in manner classes of racing, Formula One being
> an example. They gave too much of an advantage to the teams using them
> and the driver's machismo got in the way as well.

F1 has never used ABS. Traction control, which is a different beast, has
been outlawed. ABS is allowed but not used in any other form of racing,
to my knowledge. WRC uses very sophisticated traction control, but the
handbrake overrides the TC. Most racers also use cockpit adjustable bias.

Driver's machismo? I've never seen a racer that would not jump at any
chance for the slightest edge. And none use ABS.

> I'm not saying ABS is a substitute for better driving skills. I'm
> saying that ABS can do things that a human simply can't do, such as
> modulate the braking at each wheel independently to cover situations
> where each wheel is seeing a different mu. No way you can do that with
> one brake pedal. And if I gave you four brake pedals, you couldn't do
> it fast enough to be effective.

It is a substitute for driving skills. ABS only works when the pedal is
full on. Control of the braking function is given over 100% to the ABS.
There are some things that a human can actually do better than
electronics, and braking is one of them.