Old July 31st 06, 06:27 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Floyd Rogers[_1_]

Default still think this is the USA you remember?

"Brent P" > wrote
> http://www.freemarketnews.com/WorldNews.asp?nid=17667
>
> STUDENT BUSTED FOR TAKING COP PICTURES
> Friday, July 28, 2006 - FreeMarketNews.com
> The charge against Cruz was based on a new law, allegedly prohibiting
> people from taking pictures of police officers with cell phones. Cruz is
> quoted as saying, "They threatened to charge me with conspiracy, impeding
> an investigation, obstruction of a investigation..." Larry Frankel of the
> local ACLU chapter, reportedly said, "There is no law that prevents
> people from taking pictures of what anybody can see on the street,"
> adding that, "it's rather scary that in this country you could actually
> be taken down to police headquarters for taking a picture on your cell
> phone of activities that are clearly visible on the street." - ST

My guess is that the law will be declared unconstitutional. Look at
http://www.rcfp.org/news/2004/1105johnso.html (or google "sequim
police video lawsuit"). A couple of caveats: 1) WA state has privacy
in it's constitution (which many states, esp. east coast) don't - that's the
"Privacy Act" that the police officer was complaining about, 2) the
9th Circuit (in San Francisco) is notoriously the most liberal circuit -
but that's actually good for the student's case.

FloydR