Old August 1st 06, 05:08 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

Default still think this is the USA you remember?

In article >, jaybird wrote:

> "Brent P" > wrote in message
> . ..
>>
>> http://www.freemarketnews.com/WorldNews.asp?nid=17667
>>
>> (via fark.com)
>>
>> STUDENT BUSTED FOR TAKING COP PICTURES
>> Friday, July 28, 2006 - FreeMarketNews.com
>>
>> A Penn State college senior was arrested after he pointed his camera cell
>> phone at police activity in his neighborhood. A Philadelphia NBC News
>> Channel 10 report says the family of Neftaly Cruz, 21, is claiming the
>> cops had "no right to come onto their property and arrest their
>> 21-year-old son simply because he was using his cell phone's camera."
>>
>> Cruz had heard a commotion outside his parents' home and walked out the
>> door to investigate it. When he saw the street lined with police, he
>> flipped his phone open to take a picture. Within moments, an officer came
>> to his back gate, put him into a police car, cuffed him and took him to
>> jail. According to a neighbor's report, the cop spoke only once during
>> this process, allegedly saying, "You should have just went [sic] in the
>> house and minded your own business instead of trying to take pictures off
>> your picture phone."
>>
>> The charge against Cruz was based on a new law, allegedly prohibiting
>> people from taking pictures of police officers with cell phones. Cruz is
>> quoted as saying, "They threatened to charge me with conspiracy, impeding
>> an investigation, obstruction of a investigation..." Larry Frankel of the
>> local ACLU chapter, reportedly said, "There is no law that prevents
>> people from taking pictures of what anybody can see on the street,"
>> adding that, "it's rather scary that in this country you could actually
>> be taken down to police headquarters for taking a picture on your cell
>> phone of activities that are clearly visible on the street." - ST

> Oh come on Brent. I thought you were too smart to believe everything you
> read. We already hashed this one out last week:
>

> "Police told Hairston that they did take Cruz into to custody, but they said
> Cruz was not on his property when they arrested him. Police also denied that
> they told Cruz he was breaking the law with his cell phone. Cruz's famly
> said it has filed a formal complaint with the police department's Internal
> Affairs division and are requesting a complete investigation."
>
> http://www.nbc10.com/news/9574663/detail.html

So they arrested him for walking out in public mere feet from his home
and he and the witnesses are lying.

Sorry jaybird, the cops denial doesn't make sense. And if they did just
arrest him for no stated reason at all, then that's an even worse.