Old August 28th 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

Default Oil-filter removal (2004 Jeep Liberty)

gcotterl wrote:
> I tried the strap-type oil-filter wrench shown at:
>
> http://automotive.hardwarestore.com/...h--635959.aspx
>
> I put the nylon strap around the filter and attached one end of an
> 1/2" extension-bar to the end of the oil-filter wrench and the other
> end to a socket wrench.
>
> I turned the wrench as hard as I could but the oil filter would NOT
> unscrew. (I didn't try harder because I was afraid the oil filter
> might collapse and then it'd become more of a bear to remove).
>
> Running a big screwdriver through the filter and using it as a lever
> to turn the filter sounds good but I don't think there's enough room
> to reach the screwdriver to turn it.
>
> Any other ideas?

Sounds like your filter is on way too tight. Usually I can remove
mine by hand.

The metal band type wrenches (good ones) have teeth/cuts on them
that helps grip, nylon bands tend to slip. At one point, Sears
sold one that used a rubber strap.

--
DougW