Old July 21st 04, 01:50 AM
Chuck

Default How do you remove the timing belt sprocket from front camshaft, 90 Dodge Spirit?

Trying to replace a leaking oil seal at the front of the camshaft.
I've got the timing belt off, and the pulley, and have removed the
bolt that secures the sprocket to the front of the camshaft. The
service manual shows a flat puller being used, the kind where you
secure it to the sprocket using the threaded bolt holes on the
sprocket and turn a bolt throught the middle that pushes the flat
plate (and anything it is bolted to) away from what the center bolt is
pushing against. The sprocket they show has 4 holes, and the photo
shows a puller attached to 2 holes on opposite sides, so the pulling
force is even (straight off of the shaft). The sprocket I am trying to
remove has 5 holes, so none line up directly across from each other.
I've tried a harmonic balancer puller, which has two holes directly
across from each other and 2 more at about 45 degrees from one of the
other holes, - 2 holes line up, but since they are not directly across
from each other, the pulling force is not straight off of the shaft,
and all I did was bend the bolts holding the puller on.

Any suggestions?