Old May 18th 04, 09:19 PM
AlexUK

Couldn't agree more. I rushed to buy one of these classic models
before the facelift came out for these exact reasons even though I
wanted the new 20v JTD.

I first saw the 156 in 1998 and thought it was unbelievably beautiful
and ended up buying one in 1999 (my first ALFA). Now SIX years later I
still think it looks amazing.

Not sure if anyone has noticed but on the new 156 the front wings have
been squared off from the lights to the A pillar. I think this
captures why the facelift fails. The 156 has allways been a car of
stunning Curves, the facelift has just put a few angles at the front
and back and totally forgot about the middle and how it all flows.

As for the 166, I think it has lost all its finesse. Looks overweight
now. I had one of these for a year and it never ceased to amaze me how
gracefull it looked, be it stationary or moving (very quickly in
Germany, :-) ).

On Sun, 16 May 2004 07:10:37 +0100, Barry Bingham