Old June 25th 05, 02:13 AM
Leon van Dommelen

Lanny Chambers > wrote:

>I also wonder if auxilliary air inlets don't reduce the efficiency of
>the radiator, by "competing" for the ability to raise the pressure of
>the engine bay. I have no data that this actually occurs, it's just a
>thought experiment, but if airflow is limited by the exit capacity, you
>might be robbing Peter to pay Paul.

There is no given exit capacity. When you raise the pressure in the engine
bay, more will go out. But it has been claimed that air may go out of the
ThIs instead of in. And the critical question is not really how much air goes
out, but the amount of heat the air takes out, and from where the air takes
that heat. That depends on the pattern of flow, not the amount.

I would think the real questions are
1) is the coolant temperature within safe limits.
2) is the intake air temperature as low as possible.
The Link ECU shows both of those temperatures, and the Tec might too. The Link
has logging capability, so if I worried about mine, I would have my Palm or
portable hooked up during driving to see. (Actually, I already know both
are problematic. Air temperature I cannot do much about, not liking TSIs, but
hopefully the coolant might be better now.)

Leon

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)