Old July 20th 05, 11:16 PM
Rex B

dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:
> "Rex B" > wrote in message
>
>>>Your 02 sensor should be a heated one and come online within a few
>>>minutes
>>>of the engine running.

>>So the internal heater should be able to get the sensor into the working
>>range, without benefit of a blast of exhaust heat?

> yes at least initially, but exhaust should be hitting even with a gutted
> cat.
> I am not totally sure on this since I only deal with 'working' & complete
> cats. <g>

How dull
Actually, the O2 sensor on this car (and I assume other Mk2s) is placed
in the shell of the convertor. The bung is in the angled taper (the
lower \ in the ascii art below) section such that it sits outside of the
main flow, angled back toward the catalyst core. In that position I
expect it would get a good portion of the heat as radiant from the hot
core. That core is gone, the exhaust flow alone is not optimal from a
heat standpoint.
____