Old February 28th 05, 01:29 PM
Jack Idler

"Bill Putney" > wrote in message
> Paul Singh wrote:
> <severly clipped>
> >
> > Bloody hell, I can't even pin point where the whistle is coming from. I
> > asked my wife to help me locate the area it may be coming from. She

seems to
> > think it is from the left side of the engine i.e. the surpentine belt

area.
> > It is getting to be a challenge now.
> >
> > I will try your runner hose method and will report.
> >
> > -Paul

> The noise coming on just as it reaches operating temp, and the fans
> being on or not affecting it - what shape is the coolant pressure cap in
> (i.e., does it need replacing?)? Also, the fans coming on could simply
> be changing engine operation enough to cause the noise to stop by
>
> Bill Putney
> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
> adddress with the letter 'x')

Some FEAD tensioners use a damping shoe arrangment to tame wierd belt
dynamics at idle or with varying loads . I have an older minivan (with most
likely
a worn out damper) that will get into belt squeal at the alternator at idle,
but the
squeal goes away with any amount of increased throttle.....just a small shot
of
spray-on belt dressing will quiet it for days at a time.