Old July 23rd 05, 10:02 PM
Comboverfish

Shep wrote:
> Yes
> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > Hello!
> >
> > My 1998 prizm seems to be having a problem. When I star the vehicle it
> > seems to be fine, when I turn on the lights, the engine stops. If I
> > have the AC on, the car will flux between 1000 and 3000 RPM. then die
> > again when lights are put on. If the lights are off and the AC is off,
> > no problems.
> >
> > Does this sound like an alternator going bad?
> >
> > Thanks!!

If the OP's 98 Prizm is equipped with the Delco CS (crap suck)
alternator then I would not be surprised if it was bad. But atleast
when they fail there is a high probability that the charge light will
come on, solving the mystery.

I haven't seen one cause such fluky behavior. If it was a case of
battery system voltage dropping below a certain threshold with the
lights on, I would think that eventually the car would stop running
regardless of battery load. This sounds more like a bad ECM or
DRL/headlight ground to me. I don't know what to make of the A/C
related idle problem, short of bad ECM ground or a combination of
problems.

Toyota MDT in MO