Old July 2nd 05, 05:34 PM
Remco

> Well,.. for those of you who have been following me WOES of the 1970
> Beetle that is really a 1973 with a 1971 engine on a "Possible_ 1970
> Frame I have some good news for you. My Mechanic finished it
> yesturday and we have it back! And it only cost me,... $800!!!!!
>
> Oh Well,.. at least I know she is safe to drive so I won't worry about
> my Wife when she is driving it. We took it for a short cruise
> yesturday to make sure everything was working,.. it was. SO today we
> are taking it even farther from home,.. a family reunion and it's
> about 60 miles away,.. it's going to be a day trip fpr us but we will
> be coming back after dark so that might be exciting <G>.
>
> Couple of quick questions,.. First of all,...
>
> Is it possible to overheat the engine?
>
> Where can I get Key Blanks?
>
> Ken

Congratulations on getting the car back - That feels good, I'm sure.
(not that I know how that feels yet, because my body is off the pan as
I am working on it)
It is only money, but you probably wanted to spend it on something
else, so there's you incentive to learn

Overheating? Sure! Perhaps keep a spare alternator/fan belt in your car
and learn how to replace it - it's easy easy, taking 10 minutes plus
simple tools.
Not to make you overly paranoid, but you do have to be aware of not
driving with a broken belt (not even for minutes) because you can do
serious damage to your engine - a bug is not like any modern car.
A broken belt is indicated by the red light. (green light is oil
pressure failure).
A broken alternator/fan belt, besides causing your battery to not
charge, also causes your engine to not get cooled.
Not that it will happen on your trip, but if you ever see your
red/green light come on, stop the car and see what's wrong.
Don't keep driving with it.

I know a good locksmith in Derby, CT (Calvert locksmithing) that can
help, but that may not be practical for you.

Remco