Old July 6th 06, 06:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected]

Default info on converting to E85?

Brent P wrote:
> In article >, Scotter wrote:
> > Hi gang -
> >
> > Wondering if anyone has heard of someone converting a Mustang so that it can
> > run E85?

> Would be the usual.... seals, fuel lines, and other fuel system parts
> that can tolerate the ethanol content. In addition to that a wider range
> O2 sensor and perhaps new programing for the computer.
>
> To the person saying ethanol was higher... here in IL it's typically 40
> cents a gallon less at the station I go buy occasionally that carries
> it.

Here in WI it's 95 cents less. I use it in my 04 Sport trac and I do
get less miles per gallon but i get more miles per dollar(range). It's
costs me $67 to fill the tank with gas and if I'm luck get about
375-400 miles range.Now for $75 I can fill the tank and three five
gallon cans which gets me 540-570 miles. For almost a dollar less I'll
drive the extra 15 miles to get it. I also have been running a test
with E-85 for a while now as I run it exclusively in my Sport trac.
Here are some amazing results.

1. After 4,000 miles the oil comes out just as clean as when it went
in.
CAT oil anyalsys says no HC, no Carbon, no metal.
2. I have more HP. On gas the dyno power to the rear wheels was 192hp,
on e-85 it was 201hp at the same rpm.

I just love this stuff and I love sticking it to all those mid east and
oil companies *******s. Next up is my Jeep which currently is running
on 50% e-85 50%gas. the only noticible odities were a few plugs "bridge
gapped" with chunks of carbon. I have seen no failed seals or fuel
lines and it has been well over a year. I spent 14 years as a
drivability tech and the only real things that looks funny on the scan
data in a much wider pulse width and everyonce in a great while it sets
an 02 out of range code and I got a max rich limit code once as well.
it's usually due to mitigating circumstances like towing, excesive
idiling ect. I have a feeling that this will be like the 134a freon
conversion controversy. In the beginning the SAE guys said replace
everything not they say just drain and refill. the only things I know
that alcohol attacks is aluminum and that still takes a while to eat
up. Brazil has used alcohol in their VW's for decades and the carbs
look like a sandblaster got to the float bowls but other than that I
guess it was a great success. Anyone else here doing what I am
doing????