Old August 21st 06, 08:22 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
The Real Bev[_1_]

Default Unusual Road Rage Incident

Scott en Aztlán wrote:

>>Is there some sort of coded wave for "Slow down" as opposed to, say,
>>"HI!" or "My friend is bleeding to death, do you have a cell phone?" or
>>"Is this the road to Jonesville?"

> Take your hand, fingers extended, palm facing down towards the ground,
> and hold it at about chin level. While maintaining your fingers and
> palm parallel to the ground at all times, move your hand down to
> approximately your stomach, then back up to your chin, repeatedly.

Sounds like what the unsuccessful Rose Queen candidates might do.

>>> That's not exactly an unreasonable request.

> It is if there's no reason for it other than Michele is a control
> freak. I saw a video interview with this woman, and she looks like an
> arrogant, wealthy bitch to me.
>
>>> Sounds like pretty good insurance to me
>>> considering roaring up to a horse even at the SL could startle it and
>>> send it galloping into the path of a car.

> If those horse are easily startled by automobiles, then Michele and
> her daughter have no business riding them near a road.

Memorable animal encounter: passing a flock of mountain goats
peacefully grazing at the side of unfenced I-70 going over the Rockies.

>>I'm a city girl. If I saw somebody on a horse waving at me on a 60-mph
>>road I'd figure there was something seriously wrong. I'd be pretty
>>****ed if I got out of the car in order to render assistance only to
>>find that the rider just wanted me to slow down. Maybe it's good that I
>>don't carry an oar in my truck.

> Or a gun.

A question: While you need a permit for concealed carry, is there any
law preventing you from wearing a six-gun on your hip?

>>> I realise this story is probably quite one sided, however if true, I
>>> hope this teen is locked up for assault.

>>The story is incoherent.

> Par for the Liberal Media course.

I really want to know more. Why was the guy so angry? Why was he
carrying an oar? Why was the woman riding a horse on a high-speed road?
Why did the innocent bystander stop if the horseriders had galloped away?

>>> I come across a few horses a year on roads near my house, all with speed
>>> limits of 100km/h (60). If I see a horse with rider close to the road,
>>> I will not hesitate to slow down to half the SL so as not to spook the
>>> horse. Once safely past the horse I'll get back up to my usual SL + 7.

>>Should a horse be ridden with traffic or facing traffic?

> With traffic, of course - just like in the olden days before
> automobiles existed.

So then the woman was flagging down a driver on the FAR side of the
street? Curiouser and curiouser.

--
Cheers,
Bev