Old September 8th 06, 07:13 PM posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.automobile,rec.autos.tech,sci.environment,alt.global-warming
Harry[_2_]

Default ethanol producers who use ethanol?

I don't know if you travel, bur if you go to Brasil, ethanol is for
sale at every gas station (as "Alcool"). About a quarter of cars I
would say run on the stuff. They make it from sugar cane
The engine is specially modified. No-one likes it but it's sold at a
lower price than petrol (gas). You have to decoke the engine quite
regularly and there's much less power. I think the compression ratio
has to be considerably reduced.
In Bolivia now, they sell compressed methane (at about 10 bars) at some
gas stations in the cities. Now that sounds a dangerous business!
Here in the UK you can buy "Autogas" at some gas stations (liquified
petroleum gas/propane). Engines run very sweet on this and easier
starting. The engine has to be modified but there's no power loss
USA lags behind the rest of the world again.