Old December 15th 04, 01:54 PM
Burt Squareman

"Vic Martinez" > wrote

> Help! I Had a 'Diehard' Battery installed last night in my 98' Ford
> Ranger automatic, however, when I started to drive off after service was
> completed and paid for, my truck wouldn't get out of first 'gear', my
> 'o/d' (overdrive) light started flashing off and on for a short period,
> there was definite hesitation in acceleration, and my speedometer
> stopped working as well as my interior light when I tried to turn it on.
> EVERYTHING was operating perfectly beforehand, and the 'Sears' guys
> didn't seem to have a clue when I drove it back to question this
> situation. Now my Truck hesitates big time like it's stuck in gear or
> something, and I'm sure this was not a coincidence, WHAT HAPPENED???
> Someone told me about 'codes' being reset or somthing......WHAT???

I had the same problem. Dirt and metal particles effected the
Hall-effect speed sensors. When the computer gets conflicting
information from these sensors it may first try to engage the
wheels but will shut the system down and flash the 4WD/4WD-
Lo or 'o/d' flashes to indicate the problem and refuse to upshift.
The system is also reset by disconnecting the battery.

BTW, the Service Manual is about $300. Just sold it at Ebay
so can't tell you how to un-reset it. It will help to cycle the key
of in between tapping on the speed sensor so the module will
reset and stop flashing the lights. Remember to use a nine-volt
battery and diode in place of the battery when swapping
batteries. Or a 16v 24,000-uF or higher capacitor will also
do for a quick swap.

--
Squareman