Old December 14th 04, 06:11 PM

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 01:25:28 -0800, "Ted Mittelstaedt" >

||"Chris Bergquist" > wrote in message
||> Any recommendation on the best way to lower a 68 Mustang? I tried
||> installing springs that were advertised to lower the car 1" and improve
||> the handling. All they accomplished was to make the ride a lot stiffer
||> and they didn't lower the car at all. I'm looking for a 1" drop.

||I've got a 68 Torino, very similar in front setup to your mustang.
||My recommendation is to take it into a suspension shop and have then
||completely tear out and replace the A arms, pivots and everything else.
||The reason is that the Fords of this year had a serious design flaw in
||their front suspensions, the suspensions were basically bolted onto too
||thin sheet metal in the shock towers. Over time all of them deform
||and start tearing themselves right out of the steel. Yours are
||probably getting there already. The other problem is that the pivots are
||not greaseable and over time develop and annoying squeaking.

The '68 was better than the '65-68. The shock towers compress inward, so they
are closer together. You get an import brace adn stall it. You have to use a
portapower or similar to move the towers outward before you can bolt them on.
There was a company that made a set of reinforcement plates for '67-'70
Mustangs that strengthens the weak spots for road racing. They have to be
welded on, and the kit comes with a video. I still have a new kit, never used if
anyone is interested.
A good reference book is a reprint of the Ford publication of Boss 302 racing
modifications. Covered all the weak areas and what to do about them.
Texas Parts Guy