Old September 3rd 06, 09:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_1_]

Default 87 YJ 4.2 -> 4.0 swap questions

You will need a fuel tank with the electric FI fuel pump in it, or an
equivalent external pump. External pumps are problematical, because the
suction side typically doesn't work right and is very very sensitive to
leaks. You will need some way to fit a crank position sensor. Advance
Adapters has a bell housing for this purpose, but I don't know how many
models are available or whether there is an AT version. There is also a
crank pulley CPS adapter available.

Your transfer case input shaft spline count and depth will be different from
what the Cherokee AT uses. The quickest way to solve this problem is to
change the TC input shaft, which requires disassembly of your TC. Don't
know about the drive shaft, but I'll bet the AT from the Cherokee is longer
than what you have now.

Earle

ps.com...