Old August 26th 06, 07:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher

Default 2001 Crown Victoria Fuel Pump

On 25 Aug 2006 11:34:42 -0700, "John P." > wrote:

>My 2001 Crown Victoria has hard morning starts(((hard start= cranking
>for 10 seconds..letting go of the key and then engine starts, very hi
>RPM in the "ON" postition)), but it starts fine for the rest of the
>day. What could be the problem?! Already replaced, fuel filter, Air
>idle control valve but no change. Some say it might be the Fuel pump,
>or ignition switch? Also, Is the fuel pump located inside the gas tank
>or outside? Is it somthing i can do myself? Thanks for the expert
>advice!
>John.

It might be the fuel pump or it could be a check valve at the pump,
either way you'd have to pull the tank. When you turn the key to on,
but not to start, do you hear the fuel pump run for a couple seconds?
Usually they do. If you hear it run for a couple seconds you can turn
it to on, to off, to on, to off, several times before trying to start
it. If it starts right up after doing that there is a good chance
it's a problem with either the pump or related parts like the check
valve. However, it's also possible the injectors are leaking and
letting the fuel dribble out into the engine overnight and then it
takes some time for the fuel pump to refill the fuel rail making it
hard to start first time each day. You'd need a fuel pressure gauge
to check that to see if it's bleeding off pressure when it sits.