Old December 11th 04, 06:58 AM

Sean D > wrote:
> Hybrids don't follow the conventional wisdom when it comes to fuel economy.
> Most people take a regular gas car on the highway to see what it's best case
> scenario will be for fuel economy. This is what your 360 mile trip sounds
> like. In a situation like that, the hybrid will perform marginally better
> than it's gas-only counterpart. If you want to see the hydrid really shine,
> drive 300 miles in a city with tons of stop and go. Then compare it's fuel
> economy with a regular gas civic and I think you'll be more impressed.

On the highway, it has two advantages over a Civic LX. One is the tiny
1330cc engine, which should get great gas mileage if you don't ask it to
work very hard, and the CVT transmission which allows it to run at lower
RPM than you probably would run with a stick, and adjust quickly and
smoothly for power.

If you do ask for that power, like "keeping up" with traffic, instead of
maintaining a steady cruise, the mileage drops.

---