Old February 21st 04, 12:52 PM
Mike Hall

"Iowa883" > wrote in message

> "Mike Hall" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >
> > "Iowa883" > wrote in message
> > > Does anyone run one of these for a 4X4 ? How does it do offroad ?
> > > I am looking at buying one with a 4.3 and 80,000 miles. Is there any

> > trouble
> > > spots to look for ? How about any wear points ?
> > > What kind of gas mileage should I expect for average driving ?
> > > Anything I can do to help out performance and or gas mileage ? Or are

> > these
> > > two requests an oxymoron ?
> > > Thanks so much,
> > > Iowa883
> > >

> > You may want to take a look at these..
> > http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?did=52&scid=46
> >
> > http://www.truckworld.com/Sport-Util...er/blazer.html
> >
> > http://www.carreview.com/SUV/Chevrol...6_1524crx.aspx
> >

> That is kind of bad. It doesn't sound so good. What would you pick ?
> Iowa883

Picking a new vehicle is never easy.. I always do research on pages like
that before buying anything, but the truth is that you can find bad stuff on
every make and model.. I opted for a Jeep Grand Cherokee.. they have not
been without problems either, but maybe not quite so many.. reading through
newsgroups, you may note that GM 4x4's are for the most part equipped with
electronic 4x4 switching which seems to cause aggravation to many.. The Jeep
is a true offroader, solid axles, tough inline 6 motor, yet still
comfortable inside giving a good highway ride.. the Selectrac 4x4 option is
manually operated giving 2wd, part time 4x4, fulltime 4x4, and 4Lo.. you may
never use all modes but they are there if you need them.. interior space is
not as good as some of the competition, but there is enough really
considering the overall size.. they still fit into parking spaces while
allowing the doors to be opened..

My wife wanted me to get a GMC Jimmy (a Blazer rebadged), and we looked at a
few.. she was really quite taken with them, but I saw the Grand Cherokee at
the back of the lot and just knew that it was ours.. I told her that it was
a 'Jeep thing', and at first she was sceptical.. now she tells others that
it is a 'Jeep' thing too.. lol.. it has gotten us through the worst that a
Canadian winter deposits in Eastern Ontario without problems.. we don't have
a electric sunroof or the electrically adjustable leather seats like the up
model GMC, but we do have a vehicle that will get us through anything..

At the end of the day, the choice must be yours.. take a look at the
Cherokee or Grand Cherokee.. test drive them.. do the same with the GM
products too so that you have something to compare.. but if you want true
4x4, a Jeep is the way to go..