Old September 13th 06, 02:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

Default 86 accord failed smog... HELP/ADVICE

"los via CarKB.com" <u26415@uwe> wrote
> Usually, bad O2 sensors are the cause. If they are over
> 50k miles,

Maybe put a time limit on them, too. :-)

> they are
> suspect. You can get them pretty cheap but the install
> can be a pain.

Hey now, my impression (from removing my old 91 Civic's
sensor a few times and reports here) is changing out the O2
sensor is almost always very easy. One may borrow an O2
sensor wrench from Autozone for a fully refundable deposit.
A little PB Blaster (worst case), and that sensor comes off
no problem.

I do second that a new, OEM O2 sensor for older Hondas is
cheap. It's under $40 total at
https://www.automedicsupply.com/ . I used the latter a few
years ago. Service was great. The new (OEM Denso) O2 sensor
works great. 40+ mpg most of the year, suburban driving and
45+mpg at 65 mph cruise control windows open summer driving.